A confused hi from Quebec province, Canada.

Come in and say hi. Let us know a little about you and where you heard about the Commander X16 or this forum.
BullboyAT05

Heart A confused hi from Quebec province, Canada.

Post by BullboyAT05 »

To Mr Murray's community, hello.

I'm was born in 2002, kid of a computer technician(Who had a Commodore back in the 80s, probably more for work than games as he was in his early 20s, as far as I know), and my previous experience with developpement was with unfinished game projects on Godot.

My first video of The 8-bit Guy himself was the 8 bit graphics one some years ago (Not necesserly when it came out, but still). Recently, watching his diverse devlogs and the Commander X16 tutorials I could find on Youtube (You may know some of the videasts making them on the server like Dr J or RandomCardboardBox for exemple. I don't know how much known Inkbox is on those forums though), I thought to myself "you know what, I'll try X16 developement, or at least making pixel art based on its palette".

On one hand, it's quite hard for me to understand how to code in assembly due to my Autism and ADHD (among other factors like the fact I'm more of an art guy than a programation guy); I don't even understand how to compile code via Visual Studio Code (I tried Atom, couldn't find my way through it, sorry slithymatt. Also, couldn't run the Build.SH file I got from your Github with Visual Studio code).
For the first two mockups in the attachments (and some of my early assets) I used the first palette I could find via google(or rather, Microsoft Bing. It's how Chrome is working on my laptop, never bothered fixing that). Bassicaly the 16 colors of index zero are ye old EGA palette from games like the first King's Quest entries for exemple. I thought it was the default palette due to the colors being the default EGA colors.
The spritesheet in the attachments is done with a version of the sprite with the actual palette I sourced from Inkbox's online sprite editor: https://notin.tokyo/X16tiles/
BONUS, overworld sprite:
I hope to be able to make her game one day; a 2d platformer with Beat-em-all combat. But I'll probably try to make something way easier, like a cute scoring game about a server lady trying to do her job(The orange lady with her plate in the attachments). Way arcadier, more feasable/managable.

Whatever if I can be able to develop a lot of the stuff myself/understanding the tools that I did downloaded, or yet to find, I'm glad to at least talk on these forums and show my pixel-art skills with the index zero of the default palette.

Active dev or not, glad to left my mark in here.
Attachments
The sprite sheet I made trying to follow The Retro Desk's export method.
The sprite sheet I made trying to follow The Retro Desk's export method.
JUNSIDEACTION-001.png (4.21 KiB) Viewed 631 times
[Gotta go fast]
[Gotta go fast]
caterina_movesprites_001.png (507 Bytes) Viewed 631 times
So little, so dangerous!
So little, so dangerous!
x16_barbarian-lady_overworld_SpriteSheet_001.png (1.2 KiB) Viewed 631 times
Includes the second "Junon" sprite (more of a brown outline)
Includes the second "Junon" sprite (more of a brown outline)
x16_mockup_002.png (6.73 KiB) Viewed 631 times
Includes the first "Junon" sprite
Includes the first "Junon" sprite
x16_mockup_001.png (5.42 KiB) Viewed 631 times
voidstar

Re: A confused hi from Quebec province, Canada.

Post by voidstar »

Welcome and nice samples!

Assembly sure does have its challenges. But there is also prog8, cc65, and now we're learning more about XC-BASIC, as well as a 6502-target Pascal. Each of those still takes some dedicated focus to study and master, combined also with the overall aspects of the hardware (interacting with VERA, the audio-chips, available timers, multi-key support).