VELOCITY Target Practice

voidstar

VELOCITY Target Practice

Post by voidstar »

Simple Target Practice game that uses standard velocity physics modeling.

Written using BASLOAD.

Video of the game (caution: might turn down audio volume for this one - it's that "authentic" mid-1980s BASIC audio style, no mercy )

NOTE: Few updates since the first initialv ersion...
- The first round will show more complete instructions on how to play. Then those clear off after subsequent rounds. Or just press ESCAPE to clear them.
- Improved gamepad support (START or SELECT to fire, and during the Y/N at end can also press START to jump into another round)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BY_fV7zHulw
Attachments
VELOCITY.PRG
(2.02 KiB) Downloaded 323 times
VELOCITY.BAS
(6.47 KiB) Downloaded 350 times
velocity.png
velocity.png (59.53 KiB) Viewed 5490 times
mortarm

Important Re: VELOCITY Target Practice

Post by mortarm »

This should go in the Games Section.
voidstar

Re: VELOCITY Target Practice

Post by voidstar »

Honored to be considered game!!

I thought about it - I wanted to keep the code "short", to be used as a reference example on how to do a few things (use of JOY for gamepad polling, restoring screen mode on exit, using PSET, those kinds of things).

Since it didn't have a Score is why I ultimately leaned towards Tutorial instead (plus that I didn't have much yet for the on-hit animation, other than the burst of confetti).

I was thinking of a Score being based on the area under the curve of the projection motion. Meaning, you would get a higher score for trying to do high altitude arched shots instead of high velocity straight shots. (i.e. style over bluntness).

Maybe in higher rounds, the target could start moving.

Or a two player mode - and rather than taking turns, each player could try to hit the target first. Oh - actually, that gives me an idea for doing the X16's first 4-player game: imagine putting a turret at each four corner (for the two at the top, the gravity would "go up" instead of down). It would be interesting to see if this BASIC is fast enough to pull that off - plus the "threading" of processing the other players firing each independently would be a challenge. Hmmm! Anyone interested in such a thing?
Cyber

Re: VELOCITY Target Practice

Post by Cyber »

voidstar wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:15 am Honored to be considered game!!
We all honored to have you here. )
Moved topic to Games section.