Additional SNES ports PCB header?

Chat about anything CX16 related that doesn't fit elsewhere
Tmp2k

Post by Tmp2k »

I thought I'd split this off into a separate thread.  In the video David mentioned 2 additional SNES ports would be available via headers on the PCB. Will these default to Player 3 and Player 4? Is there anyway to configure which port is which at the system level, or should games allow the user to configure which ports are in use?

The reason I ask is, the two existing SNES ports are on the back IO, but I could see an option of building 2 ports into the front of a case and connecting via the PCB header.

I just wanted to see how feasible this would be?

BruceMcF

Post by BruceMcF »

Wavicle

Post by Wavicle »

On 10/15/2022 at 1:56 PM, Tmp2k said:

I thought I'd split this off into a separate thread.  In the video David mentioned 2 additional SNES ports would be available via headers on the PCB. Will these default to Player 3 and Player 4? Is there anyway to configure which port is which at the system level, or should games allow the user to configure which ports are in use?

The reason I ask is, the two existing SNES ports are on the back IO, but I could see an option of building 2 ports into the front of a case and connecting via the PCB header.

I just wanted to see how feasible this would be?

The onboard header is for player 3 and player 4.

In a conversation I had with David about a week or so ago, he mentioned that he thought putting the SNES ports up front would be his preference. Also while watching someone build one of my boards, that person mentioned that some SNES controllers only have a 1 meter cable and putting the SNES ports in the rear effectively reduced them to 50-75 cm cables. There is definitely some interest in re-thinking the controller locations. I think that putting players 1 & 2 up front and 3 & 4 in back would be preferred. Currently this is not reconfigurable either on the board or in the kernel.

If you have any examples or concept art for a micro-ATX SFF case, please share it here or send it to me via DM. I've mentioned your suggestions to both David and Kevin, but they are both busy people. I do not know if they have had time to review it yet, but I can usually get them to take a few seconds to look at a visual idea.