Request: Tiny PCB revision that will reduce cost and add functionality?

Chat about anything CX16 related that doesn't fit elsewhere
Tmp2k

Post by Tmp2k »

Just putting this out there as an idea...

Could you move the pushbuttons and LED indicators near to the front edge of the board and set them at 90deg?

image.png.9d8407fa606d611581ed0a3ff897a15b.pngimage.png.052dc75b4682ed228262cb4e9443e20d.png

So in it's naked form it will make hardly any difference, if anything it would be slightly more useful. However it would allow a simple case with a front panel that makes use of these. It would save cost and complexity and also result in a neater and cleaner finish.

It's only a small change,  that would be really simple to do at this point but would open up some really neat options when it comes to cases. It wouldn't change the use of the FPanel connector so you could still use any standard case and the 90deg components wouldn't get in the way of anything else.

I work with a bespoke SFF case manufacturer and we are hoping to release a couple of cases for the X16, this would allow for a cheaper, smaller option. We're also thinking of other premium options, including solid wood panels.

Wavicle

Post by Wavicle »

Do you have part numbers for switches and LEDs that you've worked with before?

The first board revision is a micro-ATX which isn't particularly SFF, but it would be pretty neat if someone thought a bit differently about case enclosure and maybe made something that looked more like the 128D or A1000 but held a micro-ATX board.

Edmond D

Post by Edmond D »

On 10/14/2022 at 10:45 AM, Tmp2k said:

Could you move the pushbuttons and LED indicators near to the front edge of the board and set them at 90deg?

image.png.9d8407fa606d611581ed0a3ff897a15b.pngimage.png.052dc75b4682ed228262cb4e9443e20d.png

So in it's naked form it will make hardly any difference, if anything it would be slightly more useful. However it would allow a simple case with a front panel that makes use of these. It would save cost and complexity and also result in a neater and cleaner finish.

While this change may make it better for one case manufacturer, it might not work for all. I think of all my time in the 90's with PC where LEDs and switches were specific to the case with a cable connecting them to the motherboard. I'd rather see that approach on the assemble it yourself boards. For the further revisions I can see the suggested change being more of a possible request, as the boards sizes would probably smaller and call for a more custom case.

BruceMcF

Post by BruceMcF »

On 10/14/2022 at 9:20 PM, Edmond D said:

While this change may make it better for one case manufacturer, it might not work for all. I think of all my time in the 90's with PC where LEDs and switches were specific to the case with a cable connecting them to the motherboard. I'd rather see that approach on the assemble it yourself boards. For the further revisions I can see the suggested change being more of a possible request, as the boards sizes would probably smaller and call for a more custom case.

This might be something to keep in the back pocket for the Gen2 board, where it might make a "semi-custom" case option cheaper.

codewar65

Post by codewar65 »

A 3D printed bracket, a soldering iron, and bodge wires? This iteration of the project is finalized.

BruceMcF

Post by BruceMcF »

On 10/15/2022 at 1:10 AM, codewar65 said:

A 3D printed bracket, a soldering iron, and bodge wires? This iteration of the project is finalized.

At least, going from prototype to Alpha build ... we do know that the VIA#2 is going away, but not whether they will give a 2x6 pin header to bring out the VIA#1 pins they are not using.

But, yeah, I don't think they are going to be looking at this kind of issue for Gen1.

codewar65

Post by codewar65 »

With working board, and a successful gofundme, they are submitting orders to PCBWay by now or soon. Revamping and retesting a whole new tweak at this point would be counter productive.

Tmp2k

Post by Tmp2k »

Thanks for all the input, here's a few answers to some of the points raised.

"better for some cases but not for others" - So all cases will be using the FPanel jumper connector, I can't see a practical way of engineering a case to utilise the existing flat buttons and LEDs. The existing parts are designed to be used when the board is not in a case. But changing the parts we are only adding options here, not taking away. 

"It would be a lot of effort to change" The new parts have the same footprint as the old ones, the only chge required is to move them a few mm closer to the edge of the board. On the video the board still has wire jumpers so it looks like another revision is imminent. 

I genuinely believe there are no downsides to this change. It doesn't remove any options or take much effort and it would allow cases to be made more cheaply and easily. 

Yes, you could desolder and resolder the parts yourself, or us complicated mechanisms, light pipes or just add external switches and LEDs. But I think this simple change would make for a much neater solution. 

We're looking at producing a case that's not much bigger than the board itself and making it as low cost as possible, without comprising on quality, so that everyone has a cheap and simple option right from the start. 

There would be other more premium options, and these might well use the FPanel connector, but it would be nice to have the cheaper more efficient option. 

@Wavicle I'll have a look for some part numbers, is there a schematic, render or better photo of the board anywhere? If the PCB file is available on a repo somewhere I'll happily submit a PR with my proposed change. 

BlahDehBlah

Post by BlahDehBlah »

If this change doesn't make it to the final board I imagine it'll be an easy DIY fix, especially if one opts for the kit option

Wavicle

Post by Wavicle »

On 10/15/2022 at 12:04 AM, Tmp2k said:

@Wavicle I'll have a look for some part numbers, is there a schematic, render or better photo of the board anywhere? If the PCB file is available on a repo somewhere I'll happily submit a PR with my proposed change. 

There is no PCB file available, and the rev of the board for release to developers and early adopters is being designed. I exchange messages with Kevin a few times per week, so now would be a good time to consider placement of the footprints for those components so that both regular vertical tactile switches and LEDs and 90-degree variations will work.

My mini-ITX board (which isn't part of the official X16 project, doesn't have license/royalty arrangement with Cloanto, and isn't going to be opened until after the commercial release of the official board) currently has the switch courtyards 2.8mm from the bottom edge cut and the 3mm LED courtyards are 1.8mm from the edge cut. I know that parts meeting that tolerance will work on the PCBs.

image.png.4410759bffdee358148d85ab6efaf5be.png

image.png.e598b6186487f2adc92b503083ba318a.png