DIY Electronics, Tools, and other Projects.

This is for products with a physical and digital component. Things like an Arduino based emulator of a 1970s mainframe, a toaster that butters your bread, or even a homebrew computer.
Strider

Post by Strider »

As you all know, I have been doing a lot with Arduino, Raspberry Pi, and a lot with electronics in general. Now I am putting together my own tools like a bench power supply using an old computer PSU, building my own buck converters, and now I want to do my own basic oscilloscope. I don't want or need anything fancy or expensive, but I also didn't want one of those cheap handheld kits you see all over Amazon. So... I just broke down and picked up an EspoTek Labrador and everything I need to put together a DIY scope, as least as close as I can realistically get. I am also curious how good it will work for it's $29 price.

So I got the unit itself, a project enclosure, BNC connectors, and probes. I have everything else I may need already. I will run the software on my Pi 4 since I use that for most of my electronic work anyway. We will see how it all goes when the parts arrive and I'll post my results.

That being said, after talking about buck converters with @TomXP411 in a different thread, I wanted a thread to talk about DIY things that don't necessarily fall completely under other specific categories.

So what kind of "things" do you DIY, or would like to do, and why? Or do you just prefer to buy what you need like a sane person? Or maybe buying kits is as far as you want to do DIY?

I have a feeling with all the retro tinkerers here, there is a lot of DIY being done. ? 

A classic geek & family man who enjoys all things retro! Computers, hardware, games, electronics, etc. Expert at nothing, professional hobbyist, and old-school blogger!
TomXP411

Post by TomXP411 »

Those buck/boost regulators are pretty nice. I'm using one to power my MiSTer now, and I'll probably get more to support my Minimig (coming Saturday) and my MINI PET. 

That oscilloscope looks interesting for sampling audio and low-speed data connections. At 750KSPS, it isn't going to be able to check the clock on a Commodore 64, but it will work for testing I2C and serial connections... That logic analyzer function looks especially useful. 

So here are some things I'd look at, especially if I'm on a budget:

Test equipment: 

• Hantek Computer Oscilloscope - This is a digital oscilloscope and logic analyzer. Useful for probing chips, oscillators (including clock circuits) and testing data busses. 

• Sigilent Oscilloscope : I have one of these. I love it. It's been very handy in checking out chips and signals on communication busses

• Logic Probe: a good logic probe can be had for less than $30, and they will tell if a line is high, low, or changing. This can be very useful when doing a quick diagnosis of a chip to see if it's putting out any sort of signal. You can see an example here on T8BG's 128 repair video. 

Power supplies: I have several. A good 12v supply is really useful, as it not only lets you use auto equipment in your house, but I run a bunch of ham radio gear from my Wescom RS-35A. (That's a collector's item now...I got a good deal on it from a fellow ham.) Look for a good price on a linear regulated power supply, as switching supplies can add a lot of noise to the output. Used is fine, and you can find good deals at swap meets and EBay. 

Here's a Pyramid 6-amp linear power supply that should be good for most projects that need 12v or less. 

• On that note, these little variable regulators are super handy. Pair that with the 12v power supply, and you can power any retro project.

• Here's another variable regulator with a full enclosure.

• This is a nice lab bench supply. What's unique about this one is the output enable switch. This lets you set the voltage before connecting the power supply to the circuit, something that most of the variable supplies don't do. 

A good soldering iron is also a must... 

• This has everything you need. I prefer to use a sponge to clean my tips, and the utility of the helping hands should be obvious. I also love the thermostatic control. The iron will heat up in seconds, and you can maintain any temperature you set. 

• I just got this one... and I'm bummed it didn't come with a sponge tray. Other than that, I really like it, and I'd happily get it again. I just have to go get a small soap dish or something for the sponge. 

Other stuff I keep on hand: 

• Breadboards

• Arduino Uno, Arduino Due, Teensy 3.5 microcontrollers

• Raspberry Pi (400, 3B, 3B+, 4B, Pi Zero)

• Multimeter: I like this Klien, although Fluke is the name to beat. My brother found this set at a yard sale for $10. The guy selling it had no idea what he had.

• I also love this little USB power tester. It's interesting to see what your USB devices are actually doing, and I can also use it to make sure my power supply is feeding enough power to my Pi, MiSTer, or other SBC. 

I've also noticed quite a few "DIY" versions of all those tools on Amazon... looking for stuff to solder tonight, I saw multimeters, power supplies, and even calculators. Just do a search for "DIY electronics kit" and see what comes up. 

Strider

Post by Strider »

Oh yeah, there are a lot of "DIY Electronic Kits" on Amazon, and other sites as well if you drop that same search in Google. I have bought a few, just little fun kits to build for others, like a colorful LED heart for my wife (that I posted here with some other stuff), a star one for my daughter, and an "RGB" clock for the heck of it. All very simple but fun kits. Though I did make a handheld game one for me.  I haven't tried any of the kits for tools though, since I either have them or can just do it myself. My primary reason is for fun. I enjoy it, and it will be useful to me. It's how I relax on my time off. 

@TomXP411My DIY bench PSU will include this regulator, like the one you have (I bought it after you mentioned it in the other thread), minus the barrel jack since it will be powered by the Corsair 450W SFX PSU that will be in my bench. It's been sitting in my closet for a long time, so I figured I would put it to use. It was an item sent to me for review, and that I have not needed since. 

I picked up a new soldering iron a few months ago as well, and so far it's working great. I also got a spare iron with it, and a set of tips. What's funny is I never knew what I was missing having flux under my brass wool until I got this station and it came with it that way. I kinda want to try the Pinecil and see how well it works one of these days.

As far as my other tools, this is what I currently use.

I am looking at a rework hot air gun, maybe this one. Not sure yet, for SMD work.

Of course, I have my breadboard, PCBs, and a lot of components all over the place. lol

A classic geek & family man who enjoys all things retro! Computers, hardware, games, electronics, etc. Expert at nothing, professional hobbyist, and old-school blogger!
Yazwho

Post by Yazwho »

Great stuff. 

When browsing Amazon, its worth using smile.amazon.xx so Amazon give a fraction to a charity for every purchase! Even if you use smile.amazon.xxx a link to www.amazon.com won't auto forward without an extension ( I use https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/smile-always/jgpmhnmjbhgkhpbgelalfpplebgfjmbf )

Unless you have some sort of referral, it's worth updating the links..?

More info: https://smile.amazon.com/charity/smile/about

Strider

Post by Strider »

On 1/7/2022 at 12:22 PM, Yazwho said:

Great stuff. 

When browsing Amazon, its worth using smile.amazon.xx so Amazon give a fraction to a charity for every purchase! Even if you use smile.amazon.xxx a link to www.amazon.com won't auto forward without an extension ( I use https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/smile-always/jgpmhnmjbhgkhpbgelalfpplebgfjmbf )

Unless you have some sort of referral, it's worth updating the links..?

I do use Smile, when I remember, buying my own items. But when posting links, it's often just to show the item, I'm not posting it trying to push it for sale. ?

Cyber

Post by Cyber »

I agree soldering iron should be good, but I also use these cheap models.

BT-8U is very lighweight and compact. Can be powered from 5V phone supply or powerbank, drains about 1A. Heats up very fast, in about 20 seconds. You can solder PCB with it, but desoldering is not an option due to very low power. Very conveninent to use in places with no power outlet and to solder something very fast. I use it for small and quick repairs. Usually it's childern toys reapir. Also I put it in my pocket, when I go somehere, where soldering might happen to be needed.

SH72 needs at least 12V, which is ideal to use in car, powering it from standard car outlet. Can accept up to 24V to output more power. Also very compact. Heats up fast, in about 1 minute. Has many replacable tips for different tasks. Ideal to solder PCB. Desoldering usualy works ok, but not always, again due to low power. This iron is my daily driver for most of my needs.

I also have powerful and bulky soldering iron with slow heat up time, but I use it only when my little guys can't do the job.

Cyber

Post by Cyber »

I also adore SN-390 PCB holder. Very convenient tool. I use it in combination with NEWACALOX Third Hand Tool which has a magnetic base and can be attched to PCB Holder's metallic base. Thus way PCB holder holds PCB, and third hand holds wires, components, etc.

Strider

Post by Strider »

I really do want to try one of those portable irons, and with the generally good reviews I have seen the Pinecil get, that's the next iron on my list. Powering it off a quality portable battery bank is an attractive idea to me.

I currently use a butane one for my portable and  automotive needs. I like it, but it stays in my cars toolbox. 

This one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07M9ZKK9T (Got it on sale for $25).

@Cyber I have been looking at getting one of those fixed rotating PCB holders, in addition to the "helping hands" one I have already that uses alligator clips, I just haven't needed one yet. They would be handy for kit builds and such I think. Do you like yours? I have never used one like that, but they look like they would be a bit "easier"than bending helping hands around.

Cyber

Post by Cyber »

On 1/8/2022 at 10:38 AM, Strider said:

@Cyber I have been looking at getting one of those fixed rotating PCB holders, in addition to the "helping hands" one I have already that uses alligator clips, I just haven't needed one yet. They would be handy for kit builds and such I think. Do you like yours? I have never used one like that, but they look like they would be a bit "easier"than bending helping hands around.

Yes, I like mine! Very conveneint that PCB can easily be rotated during soldering process. It also can be quickly fixed at any angle. Much easier than bending helping hands.

Strider

Post by Strider »

On 1/9/2022 at 10:35 AM, Cyber said:

Yes, I like mine! Very conveneint that PCB can easily be rotated during soldering process. It also can be quickly fixed at any angle. Much easier than bending helping hands.

Well, I broke down and ordered one. This one to be exact. They mostly all seem to be the same design and work the same, so we will see.

Parts are starting to arrive! Got my probes today, and the enclosure the Labrador is going in. The unit itself should be here Monday (tomorrow), as well as the buck converter I ordered for my bench PSU. I have Tuesday off so I will be testing them both out then.

Sadly the BNC connectors I ordered are going to be late. I just hope they are here by next weekend, that's when I had planned on putting it all together.

Though, my L7805CV voltage regulators and their heatsinks showed up today too. Need them for a couple other projects.

parts1.jpg.d0d9717d8449b1713e6b1e3102e5f986.jpgparts1-2.jpg.b7f33f171d2c50637df3cbb1b014d8ce.jpgparts2.jpg.1b2e61517114ad099edc8b4a6c7b4a7a.jpg