My X16 Case

Chat about anything CX16 related that doesn't fit elsewhere
rje

My X16 Case

Post by rje »

Long before, from the beginning, I wanted the X16 board without a case.

Because.... I already had one.  My old 386sx’s case, a 1U-sized (CORRECTION: 3U!)  “pizza box”, is one of the few relics I’ve kept from my distant past.  This beast, made of battleship-grade steel, has two 3.5” bays and a generous interior, quite sufficient for any version of the X16.  Or an X16 plus an X8.

And the X16 is totally so worthy of this case.

Roughnight

My X16 Case

Post by Roughnight »

I have an old pentium I big tower laying around... can be a fun case too^^

and there is room for some other things.... I mean... all the things ?

This is it! One case to rule them all! With 16x KVM switch, pi, x8,x16, c64,specci,mega65,pyra

Strider

My X16 Case

Post by Strider »

I truly liked the case design based on the S605, I think it nailed the "modern retro" theme pretty darn well.

That being said, I had already thought about how cool it would be to mount the hardware in something else, mainly becasue I am a system builder and have been for a very long time. I like to mod, I like to do it all myself, and my tastes change over time. This is why I would like it in kit form, or just an assembled board if we don't have a kit. I would like to build my own personal look around it. One great thing about using a standardized form factor, you have SO many options. Like classic beige! Or pull an LGR and go with something more original to appease my own personal retro desires.

?

A classic geek & family man who enjoys all things retro! Computers, hardware, games, electronics, etc. Expert at nothing, professional hobbyist, and old-school blogger!
BruceMcF

My X16 Case

Post by BruceMcF »

For the first five years when I lived in China, I had the luxury of a home base at the family home in NE Ohio, where I was storing all my old stuff, including my old obsolete desktop PC's ... and they were old and obsolete and not working perfectly well when I had left for China.

But then, the family home had to get prepared to be sold, and one thing I did was gut the best of the two desktop PC's and send most of the innards to the electronic recycling, but kept the case.

The idea was, if I could every conceivably afford a CX16p, it would have to be the bare board without a case option.

So it's sitting somewhere in a storage shed in someone's backyard, and hopefully mice are not building a nest in the Power Supply.

AndyMt

My X16 Case

Post by AndyMt »

If the Phase 2 will be a thing, then I'm thinking about this one:

https://myretrocomputer.com/product/my64/

I really want to have the X16 inside a all-in-one wedge keyboard. For Phase 1 I'll probably have to design my own case...

AndyMt

My X16 Case

Post by AndyMt »

I'm thinking about something similar for the mATX board:

rje

My X16 Case

Post by rje »

LOVE the Mister Wedge!

TomXP411

My X16 Case

Post by TomXP411 »

1 hour ago, rje said:

LOVE the Mister Wedge!

Yeah, if someone sold an injection molded version of this (or even a flat pack acrylic version), I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

And @AndyMt I have the same keycap set on my PiDP-11 setup. I love that keyboard.

John Chow Seymour

My X16 Case

Post by John Chow Seymour »

On 8/21/2021 at 5:24 PM, rje said:

My old 386sx’s case, a 1U sized “pizza box”, is one of the few relics I’ve kept from my distant past.  This beast, made of battleship-grade steel, has two 3.5” bays and a generous interior, quite sufficient for any version of the X16.  Or an X16 plus an X8.

If you get a chance, show us a picture! Even if it's still empty for now.  Would be cool to see.

rje

My X16 Case

Post by rje »

5 hours ago, John Chow Seymour said:

If you get a chance, show us a picture! Even if it's still empty for now.  Would be cool to see.

Here it is:

IMG_4763.thumb.jpeg.d402532fff66e5087dc40acecd192b0e.jpeg

I searched online and it's a lot like similar boxes for 386SX machines... this one for instance: th?id=OIP.4U9RhmLL3tk4gc_iq63YRwHaE4%26p