SECTIONALITY: Segmented Code for the X16

Chat about anything CX16 related that doesn't fit elsewhere
SlithyMatt

Post by SlithyMatt »

New vlog on YouTube: 

If you wanted to see how to execute code in multiple segments of RAM with a single LOAD from BASIC, this is the video for you.

See the description for the GitHub repo with example code and scripts.

Scott Robison

Post by Scott Robison »

God bless you for knowing how to properly pronounce GIF. ?

ZeroByte

Post by ZeroByte »

It’s comments like this which can lead to the end of civilized society....

But I have y’all’s backs now that I know who’s on the right side of history. ?

TomXP411

Post by TomXP411 »

18 hours ago, Scott Robison said:

God bless you for knowing how to properly pronounce GIF. ?

Well, since Steve Wilhite, the person who created the format, pronounces it "jif", there can no longer be a debate, except by trolls.  ?

https://www.cnn.com/2013/05/22/tech/web/pronounce-gif

Scott Robison

Post by Scott Robison »

18 minutes ago, TomXP411 said:

Well, since Steve Wilhite, the person who created the format, pronounces it "jif", there can no longer be a debate, except by trolls.  ?

https://www.cnn.com/2013/05/22/tech/web/pronounce-gif

When I hear a "discussion" about the pronunciation of GIF, someone almost always tries to compare it to "garage" as though that is the only sound G can make. As though people go around pronouncing "giraffe" as "grr-aff".

It brings to mind a second season episode of Star Trek The Next Generation, when Dr Pulaski addresses "Data" with the pronunciation "dah-ta". When he corrects her, she asks "what's the difference" to which he replies "one is my name; the other is not". ?

x16tial

Post by x16tial »

so.. it stands for Jraphics Interchange Format?  >:)

(I say, as long as you know what the person is talking about, and communication happened, pronunciation doesn't matter one bit)

TomXP411

Post by TomXP411 »

Just now, Scott Robison said:

When I hear a "discussion" about the pronunciation of GIF, someone almost always tries to compare it to "garage" as though that is the only sound G can make. As though people go around pronouncing "giraffe" as "grr-aff".

It brings to mind a second season episode of Star Trek The Next Generation, when Dr Pulaski addresses "Data" with the pronunciation "dah-ta". When he corrects her, she asks "what's the difference" to which he replies "one is my name; the other is not". ?

I'm stealing that.... "One is the its name. The other is not."

x16tial

Post by x16tial »

3 minutes ago, Scott Robison said:

Garage is a good case study actually, it has both pronunciations of G in it.

Scott Robison

Post by Scott Robison »

Just now, x16tial said:

That is a better argument than the "garage" example I so often hear used. It makes at least as much sense as "Bill" being a diminutive form of "William".

I've read that the rules of pronunciation are much more varied when it comes to proper nouns. One can declare that the name "Bob" should be pronounced as "Sue" (though I will definitely look at them funny).

Ultimately: https://www.newtimes.co.rw/children-education/master-sound-when-g-pronounced-j-or-g

Scott Robison

Post by Scott Robison »

7 minutes ago, x16tial said:

(I say, as long as you know what the person is talking about, and communication happened, pronunciation doesn't matter one bit)

And I agree in large part with that. Conveyance of the idea is more important than the pronunciation. We try to pronounce the names of people correctly, and regardless of my thoughts on it, there is a movement to allow people to select their preferred pronouns. Thus I think that it is worth trying to get proper nouns right and go with the preference of the person who defined the name when possible. I also try not to get too worked up about it when I hear someone get it wrong unless I think they are doing it deliberately as a sign of disrespect (in which case I'm not talking about the name of an inanimate object, I mean their preferred pronunciation of their name or preference of pronoun).

My youngest child is biologically male, but identifies female and prefers she/her. I often don't get it right, but I don't get it wrong because I want to hurt feelings, I get it wrong because this child was my male offspring for 20 years before a choice was made. I think the intent is a huge consideration.

My own name (Robison) does not have an N in the middle. My family pronounces it "RAH-bi-sen". Most people it seems pronounce it as "ROW-bi-sen" if they notice the missing N, or "RAH-bin-sen" if their mind fills in the missing letter because they see what they expected. Pronunciation can be hard, especially in a language such as English with many exceptions to rules because of how much vocabulary we steal from other languages and other various reasons.