CX16-Othello (reversi)

ceptimus

Re: CX16-Othello (reversi)

Post by ceptimus »

Looks great. :D
Edmond D

Post by Edmond D »

ifilot wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 8:02 pm Thank you for the compliments and the feedback!
You deserve them. Your time and effort in producing a quality game shows, just like your effort and openness for feedback. This mirrors the many other contributors to the project, both in hardware and software.
ifilot wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 8:02 pm
  • I also experience mouse issues within the online emulator, but I believe it is caused by incorrectly capturing the mouse. Hitting CTRL+M helps. Do not forget to type CTRL+M again once you are done playing.
Thanks - that resolved the mouse issue in the online emulator.
ifilot wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 8:02 pm [*] Keyboard mappings are: arrow keys to move the cursor and space to place the tile. Your question lets me realize I need to add an option in the menu to show a small help screen explaining these mappings and perhaps the gameplay.
[/list]
That would help. I tried using the keyboard, but the mouse overrode it in the web based emulator.

As for game play description, Othello is like chess or checkers - well enough known so not needed perhaps. The game is intuitive because of the simplicity of playing it.

I looked at https://www.wikihow.com/Play-Othello for some strategy to actually attempt to win .... :)
ifilot wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 8:02 pm [*] I am going to add an option to mute the sound and/or tune the volume and also to disable background scrolling.
[/list]
These would be very appreciated.
mortarm

Post by mortarm »

Just played a few games on the Web emulator, so here's my take:
  • Music: As a tune, I liked it, but it would be nice to be able to mute it as, like most game music, it does get repetitive after a bit, and it does cut after a while.
  • Background: Didn't bother me. More contrasting colors to the board might be helpful.
  • Tile Cursor: Would like this to only move when I move it. The computer doesn't need it.
  • Board Size: Like the choice of sizes. 10x10 is a real challenge for me.
  • CPU vs. CPU: Fun to watch, but not practical.
  • A "How to Play" screen would be helpful.
Otherwise, a good implementation.
ifilot

Post by ifilot »

Thanks once more for all the useful feedback. Sincerely appreciated. I have attempted to accommodate as much as possible in the new release.

Changelog V1.2.0
  • Redesigned menus.
  • Added separate settings menu. Could not fit everything onto the title screen anymore.
  • Added option to disable background scrolling.
  • Added option to disable background music.
  • Added help menu, which explains upon key mappings.
  • Mouse cursor does no longer interfere with keyboard/joystick cursor.
  • Fixed a bug with respect to sound RAM bank.
I was unable to reproduce the bug with respect to the background music stopping midtrack. Nevertheless, it might be caused by the fact that I was initializing the ZSMKIT engine without specifying the RAM bank, i.e. without doing any "lda" instruction before performing the "jsr" call. If the bug still pops up again, I would appreciate it if some small description can be given that allows me to reproduce.
mortarm

Post by mortarm »

ifilot wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 8:05 am I was unable to reproduce the bug with respect to the background music stopping midtrack...If the bug still pops up again, I would appreciate it if some small description can be given that allows me to reproduce.
There is no specific event. It merely stops while you're playing the game.
FredB74

Post by FredB74 »

This reversi is very well made and computer kicked my bottom more than once. I will beat it one day!
ifilot

Post by ifilot »

Nice to read that you like it. :-)

Beating the computer is not that difficult. It is programmed to be 'greedy'. It always looks for the move that yields the largest amount of discs. A trick that you can employ is to set the computer up such that it grabs a disc such that you can you can take an edge or corner position on your turn. Good luck! ;)