Instant fan! Please take my money!

Come in and say hi. Let us know a little about you and where you heard about the Commander X16 or this forum.
ErRoNeUs

Post by ErRoNeUs »

Been looking here for a while now but decided to sign in just now.  Seriously want to own one of these things when I can get it!  I've already picked up the keyboard mentioned by Retro Recipes from WASD.  Super nice keyboard and works exactly as I hoped it would.  I also (same reason) picked up the Periboard keyboard but got the USB version with USB hub ports.  That is a seriously nice keyboard and actually works perfectly for my purposes.  I've been playing with theC64 and theC64mini.  The mini works nicely for me at work because I can shove it under and behind my monitor at my desk and select the input for it when I want to.  Meanwhile the USB keyboard makes the mini very comfortable and accessible.  The USB hub ports allow me to connect USB storage and anything else which might later be supported.  The firmware update lets me boot straight into BASIC which is where I live.  Games?  Nah.  Writing creative code?  Oh yeah!

But I really want this Periboard-409H to host the same keycaps as the one for the Commander X16 keyboard.  That would be just super!  But failing that, I'd still like to buy the new X16 keyboard and then swap some keycaps to get what I want!

If the project needs additional funding sell us some keyboards!  That'd be just amazing!

I'd also like to talk about potential addon cards for the machine under development.  I'm hoping that there may be useful boards like "connect your Raspberry Pi here and provide services like storage, expansion, emulated serial/modem and other modern-world interfacing to your retro dream machine!"  That's the name I came up with anyway.... maybe someone else can come up with a better one. 

I know 8 Bit Guy is still recovering from his disaster and all so that's a bummer.  But I hope this thing really gets some new energy soon!  We've got spring and summer to warm things up!  So much fun ahead!

Perifractic

Post by Perifractic »

We appreciate your excitement! Whilst providing the mini keyboard ahead of the final machine does seem like a good way to raise funds, it has been considered and my feeling is that it would add complexity down the road. We would have to accommodate far more requests for the main computer without the keyboard, which just adds another variable to an already somewhat complex process. No doubt mistakes would happen, people will get free keyboards who didn’t pay for them, people would pay for keyboards but not receive them, it’s just part of life. Keeping things as simple as possible is important.

I also have concerns about launching half of a product, without the important part. I do not believe it gives the right impression, and no doubt some people would jump on it as an opportunity to criticise us for just wanting to raise money without releasing anything more than a fairly standard keyboard.

But rest assured we are not that far away from more exciting announcements! [emoji106]?️

Perifractic, X16 Visual Designer
http://youtube.com/perifractic
ErRoNeUs

Post by ErRoNeUs »

I take that last line to mean something is just about to be released which would explain reluctance to release "extra keyboards" (which I will STILL want!).  If you're about to release the first sell-out sets, you don't want to be short on keyboards right?  I'm absolutely giddy hoping my interpretation of that hint is true!  Exciting times!

Don't give energy to the haters if there are any.  Given the ridiculously high degree of popularity of "theC64" product and the direction it has taken, I'm sure Commander X16 is going to "suffer" from excessive demand issues and lengthy fulfillment problems.  As far as I can see, that's where the criticism will come from and that's not going to be a bad thing ?

ErRoNeUs

Post by ErRoNeUs »

Just got an email from Perixx about their upcoming release of their PERIBOARD-106M keyboard with Petscii printing! They expect a release on Amazon.com in June! It's not quite what I wanted but they are absolutely going forward with meeting consumer interest! Still love the Periboard 409 series. I think it's the right size and feels great to the fingers. Release day and ultimately DELIVERY at my home day is the day I most await!
ErRoNeUs

Post by ErRoNeUs »

Yes it's nice to know there are many signs of success on the horizon for this project. I hope to all who are in charge of this, you all profit handsomely as I know we all will benefit from these new creations! Hope we can buy things before Christmas! Will be an excellent holiday if we can!
[email protected]

Post by [email protected] »

Any news about a UK release?