Commander X16 Deluxe Keyboard -- SysReq/PrtSc, Scroll Lock and Pause/Break

Chat about anything CX16 related that doesn't fit elsewhere
davidpgil

Post by davidpgil »

5 minutes ago, TomXP411 said:

Here is what my labels look like. Ignore the off center application... my hands aren’t very steady right now. 

9984CEDA-552C-4A7A-BCC7-0D101B32A82E.jpeg

@TomXP411, those look excellent. Would you mind sharing where you got those labels from or how you got them made? I would like to try your method if possible.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite »

On 3/26/2021 at 3:36 AM, kelli217 said:

I still have WordPerfect for the PC...

I hope it's v4.2 (character based version) and not Win3.1.  WP5 was the beginning of the end (of the world).  For WP and for the world...

TomXP411

Post by TomXP411 »

6 hours ago, davidpgil said:

@TomXP411, those look excellent. Would you mind sharing where you got those labels from or how you got them made? I would like to try your method if possible.

Sure, I happened to have a Brother label maker that I bought a couple of years ago for a network install; I picked up some transparent label tape and just printed out the labels. The P-Touch has a fairly large selection of symbols, including tape transport controls (the <<, >>, and >| symbols) and the speaker icon. The Volume up and Volume down are just a speaker icon followed by an arrow - so two separate symbols for each. 

The print you see there is a 12 point font; while I think that was about the right size for the icons, it's too large for the text. I may peel those off and replace them with the next size down - I think it's 9pt on this machine. 

Links:

As a side note: the Brother works well, but it can be a little limited if you're doing sophisticated stuff, like keyboard glyphs. There are some USB label printers that should let you print graphics. Those are worth looking at if you really want to do a keyboard up right. I'd also suggest some sort of jig to allow you to more precisely place the labels. Mine are all over the place (as you can tell), and I definitely want to re-do them to make them more consistent. 

Cyber

Post by Cyber »

7 hours ago, TomXP411 said:

Here is what my labels look like.

Looks very neat!!

1 hour ago, TomXP411 said:

I happened to have a Brother label maker

This explains everything. ))

Label makers in local shops near me are pretty expensive, so I never thought about getting one. But the one from Amazon you mentioned is considerably cheaper, so I might investigate the case. Thank you!

TomXP411

Post by TomXP411 »

6 hours ago, EMwhite said:

I hope it's v4.2 (character based version) and not Win3.1.  WP5 was the beginning of the end (of the world).  For WP and for the world...

No way. WordPerfect 5.1 was the best in the series. It was 6 that started the downward spiral...

TomXP411

Post by TomXP411 »

6 minutes ago, Cyber said:

Looks very neat!!

This explains everything. ))

Label makers in local shops near me are pretty expensive, so I never thought about getting one. But the one from Amazon you mentioned is considerably cheaper, so I might investigate the case. Thank you!

Yeah, that's one of those things that you don't bother buying "just because", but when you find you actually need one, it's impossible to live without.

Michael Parson

Post by Michael Parson »

On 3/26/2021 at 2:36 AM, kelli217 said:

I never got the Amiga version to work... but then I only ever tried to install it on machines with 2.x and higher, and I found out later that there were some 'challenges,' as I recall, in getting WP to work on anything but 1.3.

Which version of WP for the Amiga are you having problems with?  I've got WP 4.1 running on Amiga OS 3.1 and 3.9 without any problems, under FS-UAE/Linux and on my MiSTer.  Not entirely relevant to this thread, we can take it offline if you want to continue discussion.

kelli217

Post by kelli217 »

We can pick up the WP tangent over on the General Retro Chat subforum.