Got my keyboard!

Chat about anything CX16 related that doesn't fit elsewhere
TomXP411

Got my keyboard!

Post by TomXP411 »

My WASD keyboard arrived.... now I just need a white retro-style case.  ?

petscii keyboard.jpg
EMwhite

Got my keyboard!

Post by EMwhite »

I'm have a issue with mine... does anybody with one of these have an intermittent issue inadvertantly getting the Petscii '+' graphic symbol (normally on the tic key of this keyboard normally or on the original pet squad bracket key) when typing quickly within VICE x64 on this keyboard?

Also, while I have you, in what circumstances does the 2nd LED (non-caps lock) illuminate.  Is there a magic scroll lock combination?  I would have thought that the 40/80 Display key, since it's non-locking, would be this key but on mine, it is not.

Finally curiosity for Tom, which Cherry switches did you choose and how do you like them?

Thanks.

TomXP411

Got my keyboard!

Post by TomXP411 »

13 hours ago, EMwhite said:

does anybody with one of these have an intermittent issue inadvertantly getting the Petscii '+' graphic symbol (normally on the tic key of this keyboard normally or on the original pet squad bracket key) when typing quickly within VICE x64 on this keyboard?

Yes, I do sometimes get the wrong symbol with VICE. There are some glitches in the VICE keyboard scan, and when using the symbolic mapping, you'll sometimes get the positional symbol, or sometimes get the wrong shift state on a key. There's nothing you can really do about this, as it's a flaw in VICE, not the keyboard. 

Also, while I have you, in what circumstances does the 2nd LED (non-caps lock) illuminate.  Is there a magic scroll lock combination?  I would have thought that the 40/80 Display key, since it's non-locking, would be this key but on mine, it is not.

That is indeed the Scroll Lock key. The LED does light up when I press it. Are you perhaps running that keyboard on Linux or MacOS? Those might not trigger the Scroll Lock light. 

Finally curiosity for Tom, which Cherry switches did you choose and how do you like them?

I'm a fan of Cherry Blue switches. I like the tactile feedback, and while it might be nice if the keys weren't so loud... I also don't have to worry about bugging anyone at home. On my keyboard at work, I use Red switches and O-Rings to keep the noise down.

So far, this keyboard seems well made, and the keys operate very much like I'd expect from real Blues. One reason I like Cherry switches is that the performance of keyboards using the switches tends to be consistent  - for straight typing, a $50 keyboard works just as well as a $200 keyboard, which is something I can't say of membrane keyboards. This one is no exception; the performance is exactly what I expect, and it's immediately comfortable to use.

As I've said elsewhere - after having grown used to mechanical switches, I'll never willingly go back to membrane keyboards, if I can help it.

EMwhite

Got my keyboard!

Post by EMwhite »

I am a Mac and, yes via Vice so your explanation makes sense, thank you.

I chose Brown switches just based on what I read.  Pretty happy, I suppose.  My only experience with Cherry was the set of Blacks I bought while building up a TexElec Pet keyboard for which I used flat, china-made crap [flat] keycaps.  It's about as horrible as the four or five Mac devices that I have with keyboard efforts that are downright embarrassing.  At some point, laptop makers striving for thinness and style-istas took over the world.

$210 is too much for this keyboard but having the Petscii keys represented make it worth it.  Thank you for the reply.

TomXP411

Got my keyboard!

Post by TomXP411 »

On 2/15/2021 at 5:39 PM, EMwhite said:

$210 is too much for this keyboard but having the Petscii keys represented make it worth it

It is definitely a bit more than I'd pay for a regular office keyboard. 

A good, mechanical keyboard with legit Cherry switches is around $100. Add $70 for custom keycaps, and you're in the same ballpark with a third party keyboard. 

This is one I might consider for my next build:

https://www.amazon.com/DURGOD-Mechanical-Interface-Tenkeyless-Anti-Ghosting/dp/B07B8J6C3C

Fenner Machine

Got my keyboard!

Post by Fenner Machine »

Nice looking keyboard.

I have a Trust Asta GXT 865 mechanical keyboard.

I’ve been thinking of getting a WASD X16 keyboard for a while, with blue or green switches.

Would I notice a difference, or would the Trust and WASD be comparable?

I would also lose the number pad, which I like to use, but the smaller WASD X16 would make my keyboard & mouse positioning more ergonomic.

Dani

Got my keyboard!

Post by Dani »

I just got mine too with blue switches!

TomXP411

Got my keyboard!

Post by TomXP411 »

On 2/20/2021 at 8:58 AM, Fenner Machine said:

Nice looking keyboard.

I have a Trust Asta GXT 865 mechanical keyboard.

I’ve been thinking of getting a WASD X16 keyboard for a while, with blue or green switches.

Would I notice a difference, or would the Trust and WASD be comparable?

I would also lose the number pad, which I like to use, but the smaller WASD X16 would make my keyboard & mouse positioning more ergonomic.

The team has actually done a low-key (unadvertised) release of the keycaps. So you can now just buy the keycap set and put it on your keyboard. 

The modifiers may not fit (I think the V6 uses a 6x spacebar with 4 modifiers), but the rest of the keys should work on just about any standard keyboard. 

http://commanderx16.com/deluxekeycaps

In fact, I just finished updating my second emulator keyboard with the Commander keycaps... here it is:

47409549_CommanderVelocifire.thumb.png.d96a64b638cc305b3ca0780f342b8f22.png

and, just for fun, here it is with the backlight on:

1045399097_CommanderBacklit.thumb.png.5132f4146b28331e43c25019ecb5db24.png

Keycaps aside, The keyboard itself is pretty good. It's not programmable, but it is a solid, mechanical keyboard, and it's only $50. For a wireless, backlit keyboard, that's a steal. I use two of these - the one pictured and a black one - for video and software production machines, and I'm pretty happy with them. 

DarrenWise

Got my keyboard!

Post by DarrenWise »

I'm on the case to purchase one of these keybs ?

-Just the standard official version is just fine for me as I've found a whole host of options on the shops URL hehh ?