First prototype mini keyboard

Announcements by the development team or forum staff.
John Chow Seymour

Post by John Chow Seymour »

13 hours ago, Perifractic said:

Yeah that's a factory cost limitation. How much more would you pay for a blue key? The way they mould these it would require a separate mould. The top keys don't look good all blue IMHO. The aim here is beauty and value. ?

Oh, I didn't know it would cost more.  Grey it is! ???

DusanStrakl

Post by DusanStrakl »

I am proud daily user of Deluxe keyboard for almost a year now and it works great.

I noticed that mini keyboard has one more key the "FN" at bottom left that does not exist on Deluxe version. Any special reason/plans for that?

Perifractic

Post by Perifractic »

I am proud daily user of Deluxe keyboard for almost a year now and it works great.
I noticed that mini keyboard has one more key the "FN" at bottom left that does not exist on Deluxe version. Any special reason/plans for that?
This will likely offer local control of keyboard functions if/where applicable but isn't transmitted to the machine, similar to the Fn key on a laptop.
rje

Post by rje »

Well it looks pretty good to me.

I've got the X16 WASD (Clear switches), but hey, what's one more keyboard?

TomXP411

Post by TomXP411 »

That keyboard looks super convenient for small footprint computers. I'm actually thinking about buying the modern USB version for one of the computers we use at church in the sound booth. With 4 computers in there (projection, CD recording, multitrack/video encoding, camera control) it's getting a little crowded. 

For the Commander, it looks like a very nice starter keyboard, and I think it'll do just fine for those users who don't want to spend the money on the mechanical keyboard. 

Having said that... I really want to order the WASD keyboard; I'm still just too buried in expenses to actually do so.

BruceMcF

Post by BruceMcF »

I was doing all of 50hrs+ work for online teaching back during the Spring semester Covid19 emergency on a laptop keyboard, and this looks like a big upgrade over that. Heck, if available as an individual accessory, now, I'd be tempted to buy it for myself for Christmas.

TomXP411

Post by TomXP411 »

44 minutes ago, BruceMcF said:

I was doing all of 50hrs+ work for online teaching back during the Spring semester Covid19 emergency on a laptop keyboard, and this looks like a big upgrade over that. Heck, if available as an individual accessory, now, I'd be tempted to buy it for myself for Christmas.

It looks like this guy... but obviously different color and keycaps.

https://www.amazon.com/Perixx-PERIBOARD-409H-Mini-Keyboard-Port/dp/B007LQN8UU

Perifractic

Post by Perifractic »

You mean Perifractic's Periboard by Perixx? [emoji6]

We've worked with them on some ergonomic improvements but it was based on that model. And of course it's PS/2 with no USB hub at the back.
TomXP411

Post by TomXP411 »

On 12/5/2020 at 11:20 AM, Perifractic said:

You mean Perifractic's Periboard by Perixx? emoji6.png

We've worked with them on some ergonomic improvements but it was based on that model. And of course it's PS/2 with no USB hub at the back.

? I didn't even notice the brand. That's pretty great. 

And I do like your ergonomics better. I'm not a fan of low profile/low travel keycaps. It's the one reason I'm probably not going to buy a Pi 400... I'm waiting for the inevitable mechanical keyboard case.

svenvandevelde

Post by svenvandevelde »

I absolutely LOVE this keyboard. Wow!

KICKC home page by Jesper Gravgaard.
My KICKC alpha with Commander X16 extensions.