WASD Keyboard

Chat about anything CX16 related that doesn't fit elsewhere
TomXP411

WASD Keyboard

Post by TomXP411 »

1 hour ago, Perifractic said:

And just for the record currently we have both reset and nmi pins on the motherboard and one button on the front of the case which you can choose to connect to either of those pins depending on your preferred option. And the power button separately of course.

It would be nice if there were two buttons on the front, but I get how that's an issue... PC makers haven't had two buttons on the front of a PC case for a long time.

Buuut.... it's fairly easy to drill a hole and add a button. If the NMI triggers a warm boot, like it does on the C64, I'll probably add a second button for that. 

Cyber

WASD Keyboard

Post by Cyber »

Or two existing front buttons might be used for Reset and NMI, and Power button might be moved to back of the case. Each user might come up with his own preference.

Cyber

WASD Keyboard

Post by Cyber »

Another thought is that PS/2 keyboard connector has unused pins which may be used for these additional buttons. This would require a custom mod for both keyboard and board, but who knows, some users might do even this, if they prefer.

EMwhite

WASD Keyboard

Post by EMwhite »

That's a bargain and a half but I suppose you can view it as a commodity kbd and you get any color you want as long as it's black.

All of the customizations on this kbd right down to the specific Pantone graphics and cbm graphic chars have to be paid for somehow and I guess rather than soaking the principals of this project for thousands in setup fees, they are passing a $75 per kbd fee onto each sold?  I'm totally guessing.  Still want one, though.

If this outfit buys Cherry switches by the 10,000s they must be inexpensive which is where their margin comes in.

Dumb question time... this is PS/2, so is there a simple adapter that will enable it for use on a MacBook?  (I guess some type of PS/2 to USB to USB C). Any issues to speak of outside of getting the adapters?

Perifractic

WASD Keyboard

Post by Perifractic »

That's a bargain and a half but I suppose you can view it as a commodity kbd and you get any color you want as long as it's black.
All of the customizations on this kbd right down to the specific Pantone graphics and cbm graphic chars have to be paid for somehow and I guess rather than soaking the principals of this project for thousands in setup fees, they are passing a $75 per kbd fee onto each sold?  I'm totally guessing.  Still want one, though.
If this outfit buys Cherry switches by the 10,000s they must be inexpensive which is where their margin comes in.
Dumb question time... this is PS/2, so is there a simple adapter that will enable it for use on a MacBook?  (I guess some type of PS/2 to USB to USB C). Any issues to speak of outside of getting the adapters?

The keyboard is actually USB with a PS2 controller on board and supplied with a PS2 adapter, so yes it will work with a Mac [emoji106][emoji973]️
Fenner Machine

WASD Keyboard

Post by Fenner Machine »

Thinking of getting one of the X16 Deluxe keyboards, but trying to work out cost to the UK.

Once delivery, duty and VAT are added it is likely going to be over £200.00.

Blue switches seem a safe option, but green also appeal with the extra force required.

However, blue are cheaper. Hmm...

Fnord42

WASD Keyboard

Post by Fnord42 »

On 10/14/2020 at 8:20 AM, Cyber said:

Another thought is that PS/2 keyboard connector has unused pins which may be used for these additional buttons. This would require a custom mod for both keyboard and board, but who knows, some users might do even this, if they prefer.

If the RESTORE key is not used for other purposes by the X16, it shouldn't be hard to just use a tiny avr mcu to listen on the PS/2 lines and trigger the nmi whenever it observes a RESTORE key press. To me, this seems to be a rather clean solution, and nobody would have to drill holes into anything.

markboston36

WASD Keyboard

Post by markboston36 »

On 7/11/2020 at 1:40 PM, jtk said:

I've been entertaining the the idea of getting my first mechanical keyboard for about a year. After seeing the availability of the Commander X16 Deluxe Keyboard on WASD I think I'm inspired to finally commit. Even if the project doesn't make it for some reason, I still think it's a cool looking keyboard and the key labels don't matter to me, I can touch type on a blank keyboard.

Since I have never owned a mechanical keyboard, and it's a rather pricey purchase, I'm hoping some people here might have some answers and suggestions.

1. I absolutely need a Scroll Lock key, it's the shortcut key for my KVM. Does the 40/80 Display key function as a Scroll Lock key on a standard PC?

2. I don't need perfect silence but I code all day and game all night in an area often occupied by other people. I'm thinking of going either Cherry MX Red or Cherry MX Silent Red. This comparison video has me leaning towards Silent Red. Does anyone have a experienced opinions on the difference between these 2 or suggestions on why another type might be better?

3. Does purchasing this particular keyboard support the Commander X16 project directly?

Cherry Brown switches are also silent. when you look at the keyboard page any switch that says tactile bump is silent. anything with a click is clicky. i like the clicky sounds of a keyboard but i know it can be distracting especially to other people around you. 

one caveat with this keyboard however is its a ps/2 connection. most(any?) modern computers do not have ps/2 connectors. i don't know if such a thing as ps/2 to usb adapter is a thing but that is what you would need to plug this into anything made in say the last 10 years.

also check this out: https://switchandclick.com/2020/01/06/guide-to-common-mechanical-keyboard-switches-cherry-mx/

markboston36

WASD Keyboard

Post by markboston36 »

On 10/14/2020 at 7:54 PM, Fenner Machine said:

Thinking of getting one of the X16 Deluxe keyboards, but trying to work out cost to the UK.

Once delivery, duty and VAT are added it is likely going to be over £200.00.

Blue switches seem a safe option, but green also appeal with the extra force required.

However, blue are cheaper. Hmm...

mechanical keyboards and the word cheap are oxymorons. plan to spend at least $200 for a good one. 

markboston36

WASD Keyboard

Post by markboston36 »

On 10/14/2020 at 1:16 PM, Perifractic said:

The keyboard is actually USB with a PS2 controller on board and supplied with a PS2 adapter, so yes it will work with a Mac emoji106.pngemoji973.png

should of read this before replying to the OP. thats actually a really clever way to design it. i wonder if i could buy this with blank keycaps and use it with a c64 mini? i guess i could make stickers and cover them.