Commander X16 on Wikipedia

Chat about anything CX16 related that doesn't fit elsewhere
rje

Post by rje »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commander_X16

I used the VIC-20's entry as a guide.  I'm sure the page needs work.

StinkerB06

Post by StinkerB06 »

Good start so far!

rje

Post by rje »

It's been marked for deletion (that was fast!).  They can't find significant discussion on the topic to warrant its existence, I suppose.

K4TFJ

Post by K4TFJ »

"You may remove this message if you improve the article or otherwise object to deletion for any reason."

I say remove it and the ADVERT tag he added also. What could they do? Delete it?

Guybrush

Post by Guybrush »

Well, for one, your article is written in such a manner that one might think the computer is already being sold, which it obviously isn't. In multiple places you refer to the computer in the present tense, where the future tense would definitely be more appropriate.

Wikipedia's general notability guideline (to which the message refers) clearly states that the topic must have "significant coverage in reliable sources that are independent of the subject". This site (or the Facebook group) is definitely not independent of the subject. Since the computer hasn't been released yet, there really can't be any significant coverage in other reliable sources.

Frankly, this message from the admins really doesn't surprise me, I expected something like this to happen since I've first seen the article, I'm only surprised by their expedience ?.

Perifractic

Post by Perifractic »

We appreciate your efforts. Perhaps it's best to copy the article code to a doc and save it until the machine is released and publicized...
Doigt

Post by Doigt »

Actually not even surprised about Wikipedia being so fast. There are people and bots watching the new articles 24/7 on that site. What really surprises me is how they threw around the term "vaporware". Totally unexpected.

rje

Post by rje »

20 hours ago, Perifractic said:

We appreciate your efforts. Perhaps it's best to copy the article code to a doc and save it until the machine is released and publicized...

Great minds think alike.  I backed up the content to my file system yesterday.

Maybe I'll add a MR to the docs repo.

TomXP411

Post by TomXP411 »

Yeah, honestly - this is not Wikipedia material, yet.

In a few years, when it's a prime example of the resurgence of 8-bit computing, and everyone is talking about "The 8-Bit Guy's Computer", then it might be ready for a Wikipedia entry.

rje

Post by rje »

12 hours ago, TomXP411 said:

Yeah, honestly - this is not Wikipedia material, yet.

In a few years, when it's a prime example of the resurgence of 8-bit computing, and everyone is talking about "The 8-Bit Guy's Computer", then it might be ready for a Wikipedia entry.

Thanks Tom.  I think I agree with you -- uh, more or less.  And it's already disappeared from Wikipedia. 

But, I've created a new merge request on X16-docs ?