Trainyard

jimbo

General - CX16 Trainyard

Post by jimbo »

Trainyard. Control the switches to get your trains to the right stations. A new game for Commodore PET/CBM, Commodore 64 and Commander X16. Download below or at https://jimbo.itch.io

Screenshot 2023-12-21 at 10.34.59 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-12-21 at 10.34.59 AM.png (694.06 KiB) Viewed 4056 times
tyx16.prg
(18.39 KiB) Downloaded 381 times
voidstar

Re: Trainyard

Post by voidstar »

This is super cool! This is one of those "edutainment" software titles, where you're learning without realizing you're learning - perfect for schools. You're learning about "switch management" and "logistics" - switches could be phone, network data, maybe even PCB/electronics. And for logistics - imagine a variation where every failed train route reduces the GDP of your nation (so imagine a network/multi-player version on that theme -- where your team fails when stuff couldn't get where it needed to be on time, relative to other teams).

The spacebar mechanic here can make this very competitive for getting higher scores.

Someday, as VERA's become more available, a multi-CRT version of this would be neat! Either as on-system multi-player, or maybe even as tracks that go across screens!

And love the colors and train symbols, great stuff as always Jimbo!

Here's a challenge to think about someday: an 8-bit version of the modern game Overcooked? You have to manage incoming customer orders, place the ingredients, cook them for the right amount of time and order, place the order out for delivery, clean the finished dishes, etc. etc. I'm not sure it could be done in PETSCII :P
jimbo

Re: Trainyard

Post by jimbo »

Thanks @voidstar .. I think you really nailed it. I wasn't sure if people would pick up on using the space/enter to speed the game up but it can make for a real accelerator in those early levels. And I like the idea of the Cooking type games built on 8-bit .. eg maybe do it in 2D instead of the 2.5D that they use...