Mine Rescue

Johan Kårlin

General - CX16 Mine Rescue

Post by Johan Kårlin »

Try It Now!

This is a platformer inspired by the game H.E.R.O for Commodore 64 and Atari. Your mission is to search several mines and find the miner that is trapped in each of them.

Equipment
Fortunately, you have some equipment when setting out on your mission. This is what you have:
1. A backpack helicopter to make you fly. After a short while you will start to lose height if you don't accelerate upwards.
2. An integrated helmet laser that will effectively kill every living thing that threatens your life.
3. Unlimited number of dynamite bars to blow certain rocks and walls up. Just move away fast to avoid getting killed in the blast.

Dangers
There are lots of creatures threatening to kill you: hunting bats, poisonous spiders, biting snakes, carnivorous plants, and alien creatures that no one knows what it really is. As if that wasn't enough, some rocks contain magma sediments. They glow red and must not be touched.

Torches
There are torches on the walls that illuminate the mines. If you touch one of them all torches go out leaving you in darkness. Touch another and all will be ignited again.

Controls

When walking
A Button (X or Left CTRL) - Fire laser
B Button (Z or Left ALT) - Place and ignite a bar of dynamite
Up - Start flying
Left,Right - walk in the indicated direction

If you step over an edge to a shaft, you will fall. It won't hurt you, but watch out where you land.

When flying
A Button (X or Left CTRL) - Fire laser
Up - Fly upwards and extend the time before you start losing altitude
Left, Right, Down - Fly in the indicated direction

You cannot crash, when you reach the ground, your hero will land.

Pausing the game
Pause the game by pressing the start button (ENTER). A dialog opens where you can choose to resume the game or quit.

High-score table and start level
The high-score table is highly relevant. If you earn a spot, the next time you play, you can choose to start at the level you reached (or one of the levels below). The drawback of starting at a higher level is that it reduces your chances of reaching the high-score table again. You skip the easily saved miners on the lower levels.

The number of saved miners matters the most when trying to earn a spot on the high-score table. Time is only relevant when it comes to distinguishing between two players who have saved as many miners.

Completing the game
You have 5 lives. For each completed level you get one extra life if you have less than 5 left. There are ten levels in the game. Can you complete them all?

Running the game with the emulator
Run the emulator from the folder where all the game files are located. Use: "x16Emu -prg mine.prg -run -joy1". If a game controller is connected this is what you use for playing otherwise the keyboard.
title.png
title.png (157.26 KiB) Viewed 6279 times
high_score.png
high_score.png (137.29 KiB) Viewed 6279 times
level04.png
level04.png (165.58 KiB) Viewed 6279 times
level06.png
level06.png (262.61 KiB) Viewed 6279 times

Releases:
V 1.0 - November 6, 2023
V 1.0.1 - March 24, 2024. A minor bug has been corrected and the faster walking speed is removed. It kicked in when the player had walked a certain distance but was more confusing than helpful.

#R47 - Compatible with release 47 of the emulator
Attachments
mine_rescue_1.0.1.zip
(47.52 KiB) Downloaded 296 times
Last edited by Johan Kårlin on Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
desertfish

Re: Mine Rescue

Post by desertfish »

I find it very hard to adjust for the sudden increase in movement speed after a short while... It keeps getting me killed when running heads on into an enemy because of the sudden surge. I don't like this, personally.

Other than that, a solid game. Nice graphics, nice sound, classic H.E.R.O vibes.
Johan Kårlin

Post by Johan Kårlin »

desertfish wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:14 pm I find it very hard to adjust for the sudden increase in movement speed after a short while... It keeps getting me killed when running heads on into an enemy because of the sudden surge. I don't like this, personally.
Thanks for telling me. This can easily be changed. I have to wait for more reactions and see what people think. Three possible alternatives are: skip the extra speed boost completely (1), increase the delay before it kicks in (2), reduce the faster speed to be 50% faster than the original (now it is 100%) (3). If I get you right, you would vote for option 1?
desertfish

Post by desertfish »

I suspect #1 would suit me the best yes.
…..did the original HERO have this movement mechanic?
Johan Kårlin

Post by Johan Kårlin »

desertfish wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 7:14 pm…..did the original HERO have this movement mechanic?
No, I have added it. The original game has separate screens and small distances to cover. I was afraid that the game would feel slow due to the larger levels in this version, so I first added a boost when flying. The extra walking speed is a late change. I have made a number of adjustments the last two months to make the game playable. But I am strongly inclined to agree with you, I think I will remove this late feature.

If you (or anyone else) have any other thoughts, they are most welcome.
Johan Kårlin

Post by Johan Kårlin »

V 1.0.1 has been released. The only change is that the increase in speed after walking a certain distance, is removed. You can still fly at a lower and a higher speed though. The fastest way to move is still falling down a shaft ...
desertfish

Post by desertfish »

Thanks Johan for this change! I will definitely play it again some more now!
Raven67854

Post by Raven67854 »

Mind if I add this game to the BBS as well?
SysOp For Error200 Tech BBS
Telnet bbs.error200.tech Port 1337
Help Grow A X16 File Repository | Upload Your Apps Today!
Johan Kårlin

Post by Johan Kårlin »

Raven67854 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:28 am Mind if I add this game to the BBS as well?
Not at all! You're doing a great work with the BBS : )!
Raven67854

Post by Raven67854 »

Johan Kårlin wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:29 pm Not at all! You're doing a great work with the BBS : )!
Thank you! It's up on the BBS.
SysOp For Error200 Tech BBS
Telnet bbs.error200.tech Port 1337
Help Grow A X16 File Repository | Upload Your Apps Today!