Keyboard and Keycaps

Announcements by the development team or forum staff.
TomXP411

Keyboard and Keycaps

Post by TomXP411 »

Hey, guys. As I was reviewing the FAQ, I was reminded that the official Commander X16 mechanical keyboard and keycaps are still available from WASD Keyboards.

The keyboard: https://www.wasdkeyboards.com/commander ... t-guy.html

The keycaps: https://www.wasdkeyboards.com/commander ... p-set.html
alishakihn

Re: Keyboard and Keycaps

Post by alishakihn »

Okay I will try it. thanks bro.
Ser Olmy

Post by Ser Olmy »

TomXP411 wrote:
>
> Also, Perifractic has designed a new keyboard for emulator users, which
> should be compatible with VICE (it may require a custom keymap) and
> (mostly) the X16 emulator:
> [mod: link removed by request]

Now that is a thing of beauty. I may just have to throw some money in that general direction.

BTW, why is the "7" key black and the rest of the number keys white?

Edit: Weird, when I revisit the site (using the same link), all the number keys are the same colour. Not that I'd mind the artistic touch of having one key in a different colour, I just wondered if there was some X16- or Commodore-related reason behind it that I wasn't getting.
Last edited by Ser Olmy on Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
TomXP411

Post by TomXP411 »

Ser Olmy wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:59 am BTW, why is the "7" key black and the rest of the number keys white?

Edit: Weird, when I revisit the site (using the same link), all the number keys are the same colour. Not that I'd mind the artistic touch of having one key in a different colour, I just wondered if there was some X16- or Commodore-related reason behind it that I wasn't getting.
Probably a bug on the page. WASD lets you choose different colors for the keys, so there's some JavaScript that colors the keys in the preview picture. I'm betting something timed out while recoloring the image.
Cyber

Post by Cyber »

Ser Olmy wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:59 am BTW, why is the "7" key black and the rest of the number keys white?
This product allow wide customisation. You can select color for individual keys. So beside site glitch, you might've accidently clicked "7" key, changing it to black.
Cyber

Post by Cyber »

TomXP411 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:49 am Also, Perifractic has designed a new keyboard for emulator users, which should be compatible with VICE (it may require a custom keymap) and (mostly) the X16 emulator:
[mod: link removed by request]
It should also work well with real X16, right? Or is it emulator only for some reason?
TomXP411

Post by TomXP411 »

Cyber wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:48 am
TomXP411 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:49 am Also, Perifractic has designed a new keyboard for emulator users, which should be compatible with VICE (it may require a custom keymap) and (mostly) the X16 emulator:
[mod: link removed by request]
It should also work well with real X16, right? Or is it emulator only for some reason?
Yes. WASD's 2.x firmware can do PS/2. The later firmware (3.x) can only do USB. In this specific case, only the 2.x firmware is available on the keyboard.

I have this keyboard, and it's great. I have used it with a couple of PS/2 devices, including a Color Maximite 2.
Perifractic

Post by Perifractic »

Hi all, actually that VICE keyboard isn’t ready for prime time and was listed early by WASD in error.

Tom maybe you could hide the link for now?

Technically, the design of the keyboard is finished and it can be ordered, but we have not yet finalised the required emulator keymap and welcome instructions Email that you will need after ordering.

And no, it is different to the X16 keyboard. With the x16, the kernal was able to be changed to make the keyboard design easier. With VICE, we are stuck with the Commodore 64 kernal, so some keys have to be in different places. I have good solutions for all of this, and all will be revealed with a launch video when the time is right. Thanks!
TomXP411

Post by TomXP411 »

Perifractic wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:59 pm Hi all, actually that VICE keyboard isn’t ready for prime time and was listed early by WASD in error.

Tom maybe you could hide the link for now?
Heh. That never happens.

Done.

FYI when you do get the keyboard done and the VICE layout working, feel free to come on by and drop us a link. Currently active or not, you're still a part of this community, and all of our community members are encouraged to post links to their retro products like this.
Panda

Post by Panda »

The wasd keyboard would cost me about $440 to order and have shipped to Australia.

What other Keyboard options have people tried? Is the keyboard shown in David's videos available for order?

Is there any templates for stickers I could try for a standard keyboard?

Any assistance would be appreciated.