Help Identify SDRAM Manufacturer

Feel free to talk about any other retro stuff here including Commodore, Sinclair, Atari, Amstrad, Apple... the list goes on!
Strider

Question Help Identify SDRAM Manufacturer

Post by Strider »

Maybe someone can help me identify who makes the RAM you see below.

It's SDRAM, but made to look like RDRAM, and I've never seen that before. My best guess it was made my Micron, but I can't confirm it. That logo doesn't seem to have ever been used by Micron.

Details listed here: https://theclassicgeek.blogspot.com/202 ... dules.html

Any ideas?

Image Image
Last edited by Strider on Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
A classic geek & family man who enjoys all things retro! Computers, hardware, games, electronics, etc. Expert at nothing, professional hobbyist, and old-school blogger!
TomXP411

Re: Help Identify SDRAM Manufacturer

Post by TomXP411 »

The closest I can find on the logo front is Microcenter, but I can't find memory from them that looks like this. Of course, this is from around 2002, so there aren't likely to be a bunch of pictures.

Still, the Microcenter "M" looks like this one (not exactly, but closer than the Micron logo.)
Strider

Post by Strider »

The problem with Microcenter is I find it listed in other countries, are they outside the US? Or were they back then?

Also, these sticks of RAM had to use a custom/different PCB to get the rivet holes to line up because those holes don't exist on standard SDRAM modules, so I assumed they were made by a know RAM maker at the time.

So confusing. ;)
A classic geek & family man who enjoys all things retro! Computers, hardware, games, electronics, etc. Expert at nothing, professional hobbyist, and old-school blogger!
TomXP411

Post by TomXP411 »

Yeah, Microcenter doesn’t really work for me, either. It’s just the closest logo I could find. I can’t find any other examples of that logo out there. (However, doing an image search with the logo doesn’t turn up other RAM sticks like that - not even your posts on other media.)
Strider

Post by Strider »

Yeah, I even used Google's "image recognition" search to look for similar items and all I ever see if Rambus RDRAM, and the logo turns up nothing.

It's just odd, and kind of cool, back before cosmetic heat spreaders were a thing. On RDRAM it made sense, those things get pretty toasty, but SDRAM never needed it. So it was purely done for the looks. Makes me wonder if the maker had a lot of leftover RDRAM stock and did this to use it up?

Just wish I could find more info... :roll: