X16 Assembly Tutorial

Tutorials and help articles.

Articles will be approved by our staff before posting. This is to ensure that the community gets the highest quality possible content.
atomSmash

Re: X16 Assembly Tutorial

Post by atomSmash »

Edmond D wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:58 amBBCode
Thanks! I appreciate the reply. I did see that too, and I'm following through it. But I was also curious why the links are no longer available in the early posts of this thread. I just arrived here (these forum boards), and wasn't sure if I was missing something, the parent poster removed them, or if there was a technical issue.
Java Cake Games

Post by Java Cake Games »

Technical, I guess. The forums were moved from Invision to phpBB earlier this month, so all posts predating that are broken in many, many ways.
Edmond D

Post by Edmond D »

atomSmash wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:10 pm
Edmond D wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:58 amBBCode
Thanks! I appreciate the reply. I did see that too, and I'm following through it. But I was also curious why the links are no longer available in the early posts of this thread. I just arrived here (these forum boards), and wasn't sure if I was missing something, the parent poster removed them, or if there was a technical issue.
While the forum transition wasn't smooth, at least what was done preserves most of the discussion. Once can read the posts and with a little sketching find the referenced resources. Having the links working in the older posts may be a future task.

That being said, the old forum covered a lot of R38 items which aren't as relevant to R41 because of changes between these two versions. The download section is populated only with R41 versioned software, which should avoid issues around mis-matched emulators and software, which might frustrate those who don't know about the potential incompatibility.

Getting into X16 assembly programming is a little bit of work, since there is a wide variety of development platforms to choose from plus getting anything cross-complied onto the emulator. I expect that it will be easier once HW ships.

That being said, there are a lot of smart and helpful people in the forums who welcome the opportunity to point in the right direction.
TomXP411

Post by TomXP411 »

Wow, yeah - those old YT embeds aren't going to work.

It's theoretically possible to embed YT videos, but it will take some time to build a custom bbcode tag for it. Note the MONO button in the post editor - I added that to allow for posting code examples, and the templating system for bbcode tags is pretty useful. I'll look into that and see if I can construct a bbocde template for YouTube embeds. (or if maybe someone already has one on the phpBB forums.)
Edmond D

Post by Edmond D »

TomXP411 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:48 pm Wow, yeah - those old YT embeds aren't going to work.

It's theoretically possible to embed YT videos, but it will take some time to build a custom bbcode tag for it. Note the MONO button in the post editor - I added that to allow for posting code examples, and the templating system for bbcode tags is pretty useful. I'll look into that and see if I can construct a bbocde template for YouTube embeds. (or if maybe someone already has one on the phpBB forums.)
Perhaps the YouTube embeds could just be converted to a URL? The embedded is a nicety, not a necessity.
TomXP411

Post by TomXP411 »

Edmond D wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:04 am
TomXP411 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:48 pm Wow, yeah - those old YT embeds aren't going to work.

Perhaps the YouTube embeds could just be converted to a URL? The embedded is a nicety, not a necessity.
I'll have to go through the Invision dataset and see how many of those there are. For something like 20 posts, it would be faster to just get people to edit back in the video URLs. For 100 or more, then it's worth coding a fix. I'll take a look this evening.
TomXP411

Post by TomXP411 »

YouTube tag added: viewtopic.php?t=6336

Matt, I have taken the liberty of updating your posts with the new tag; let me know if anything seems off.