Change palette mid-scanline

Get technical support from the community & developers with specific X16 programs if you can't find the solution elsewhere
(for general non-support related chat about programs please comment directly under the program in the software library)
grml

Post by grml »

I've noticed that changing the palette anywhere in the middle of a scanline does not have an effect until the next line. Is this a limitation in the emulator or a hardware limitation?

image.png.e80de220c0e656c43d3088144f8ae91d.png

ZeroByte

Post by ZeroByte »

It's the emulator, which pre-renders entire scanlines with a snapshot of the VERA state - mid-line changes don't take effect on the emulator, but they do on real HW.

grml

Post by grml »

Right, that's what I thought. So no beam-racing experiments for me right now ?. Thanks!

StephenHorn

Post by StephenHorn »

If you're interested in beam-racing, you might look into Yazwho's BitMagic emulator.

Developer for Box16, the other X16 emulator. (Box16 on GitHub)
I also accept pull requests for x16emu, the official X16 emulator. (x16-emulator on GitHub)
grml

Re: Change palette mid-scanline

Post by grml »

StephenHorn wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:00 pm If you're interested in beam-racing, you might look into Yazwho's BitMagic emulator.
/index.php?/topic/5085-new-productivity-upload-bit-magic-the-very-unofficial-x16-emulator/&do=embed">
I'll have a look, thanks. Also trying to find details on VERA's video timings, without much luck so far.

Damn yeah phpBB! That old forum software really SUCKED!
Yazwho

Re: Change palette mid-scanline

Post by Yazwho »

Also trying to find details on VERA's video timings, without much luck so far.
It depends on what you're looking for, but this might help. I think some of it is a bit out of date, but it should give you a good overview.

Additionally I'm sure any questions (or clarifications) you may have would be answered either here or on Discord.