Z80-MBC2

Feel free to talk about any other retro stuff here including Commodore, Sinclair, Atari, Amstrad, Apple... the list goes on!
Strider

Z80-MBC2

Post by Strider »

@Edmond D Yeah, sometimes I think things do indeed get lost in translation, other times I think they add as many popular terms as possible to try and get more search hits. Either way, some listings can be very amusing.

In all fairness, that "Chanzon" company sells good parts. I've bought a lot from that seller via Amazon and it's all been good quality. So I can forgive the strangeness in the description. ?

A classic geek & family man who enjoys all things retro! Computers, hardware, games, electronics, etc. Expert at nothing, professional hobbyist, and old-school blogger!
neutrino

Z80-MBC2

Post by neutrino »

@Strider Seems the problem is a rendering one then. I'll look into it.

On 11/7/2022 at 5:14 PM, Edmond D said:

Compatible with: Indicator Lights, DIY PCB Circuit, Arduino, Raspberry Pi, hobby, Science Experiments, Colorful Throwies Project, Breadboard, T1 T-1 Bulb, Bulk 3.2v 3.3v Parts Replacement,Invisible Black Light

It's like when you read the catalogue entries for "98% efficient space heaters" well.. last time I checked entropy made absolutely sure whatever energy form goes in ends up as heat. ?

Strider

Z80-MBC2

Post by Strider »

The 3MM LEDs and holders look great!

But...

I'm not happy with my drilling/cutting alignment. So, I'm going to just print both the front and back panels. Much easier. ?

z80-frontpanel-leds.thumb.jpg.a96601378a91084651b7597fbe4e98d6.jpgz80-frontpanel-leds-3d.thumb.jpg.9814e198efa7906f4ddcfbbd300a1c6f.jpg

A classic geek & family man who enjoys all things retro! Computers, hardware, games, electronics, etc. Expert at nothing, professional hobbyist, and old-school blogger!
Edmond D

Z80-MBC2

Post by Edmond D »

Each iteration looks better and better, almost a professional marketable product now! 

On 11/10/2022 at 12:27 AM, Strider said:

I'm not happy with my drilling/cutting alignment. So, I'm going to just print both the front and back panels. Much easier. ?

So the panels are now going to be 3D printed with no need to drill the holes if I read your statement right? Then the paper label will be printed  and attached to that plate? I'd suggest not having a thin black line running though the LED mounting points on the label as that draws the eye to the alignment of the holes, and really doesn't serve a purpose that I can see. 

Perhaps you'll be working on a case for the X16 that will use surface mounted IC soon (one can hope right?)

Strider

Z80-MBC2

Post by Strider »

On 11/10/2022 at 9:27 AM, Edmond D said:

Each iteration looks better and better, almost a professional marketable product now!

I'm almost happy with it!  ?

So the panels are now going to be 3D printed with no need to drill the holes if I read your statement right? Then the paper label will be printed  and attached to that plate? I'd suggest not having a thin black line running though the LED mounting points on the label as that draws the eye to the alignment of the holes, and really doesn't serve a purpose that I can see. 

Perhaps you'll be working on a case for the X16 that will use surface mounted IC soon (one can hope right?)

Yep, exactly.

The line was there for design alignment, I just screwed up the drilling becasue I tried to rush it. ?

If I had a Pi or otherwise SFF style X16, I would totally make my own case! ?

Edmond D

Z80-MBC2

Post by Edmond D »

On 11/10/2022 at 10:58 AM, Strider said:

The line was there for design alignment, I just screwed up the drilling becasue I tried to rush it. ?

Funny how that happens. ?

On 11/10/2022 at 10:58 AM, Strider said:

If I had a Pi or otherwise SFF style X16, I would totally make my own case! ?

Perhaps you could open source the SFF X16 design if you go down that path. I believe many here would appreciate it, as they don't have the talent to do so, but can get someone to print it for them.

I hope to get a DIP board and assemble it myself, so I'll go with a commercial case & power supply of some sort. Too bad the case being designed/sourced by Perfractic isn't going as a product. I'll have to wait and see what comes available once I get the MB assembled.

rje

Z80-MBC2

Post by rje »

On 6/27/2022 at 2:37 PM, kelli217 said:

Just a few months ago I was looking at the RC2014 project. It's very similar.

I wonder if a Classic-II style bus would work with a 6502-based project?

kelli217

Z80-MBC2

Post by kelli217 »

On 11/10/2022 at 3:59 PM, rje said:

I couldn't say. I know there are some old 6502 board designs for the S-100 bus. But I don't know how the Classic-II bus compares to the S-100 bus.

BruceMcF

Z80-MBC2

Post by BruceMcF »

On 11/10/2022 at 4:59 PM, rje said:

This example is not for sale anymore, but putting a 6502 on a standard RC2014 bus HAS been done.

Strider

Z80-MBC2

Post by Strider »

Family, work, and life in general keep putting this on hold, but it's still slowly moving forward...

Had to make more changes to account for space in my little enclosure, take out some DuPont style connections and replace them with JST connectors, plus change out a few and make them right angle. Got my faceplate printed and installed with yet another redesigned cover.

Still a couple more internal modifications I need to do get make it all fit, and print the backplate, but we're getting there.

I also reached out to the projects creator and he sent me his copies of Ladder and Catchum that work best on the uTerm, every other copy I found displays incorrectly, even using the VT100 profile. Sadly, he can't remember how his copies were modified so I can re-create the profile on my own, and I can't find anything on how to properly configure a raw copy of either game to emulate his copies.

If anyone can run CP/M, and his copies of the games, and pull the VT180 profile settings out so I can see them, I would be forever grateful. It's basically sending the wrong codes and I have no idea what the codes are that are in his version.  If I knew, I could use any copy and make it work. Sadly, my CPM skills are not yet up to the task.

Here is a link to my Archive.org page where I uploaded the copies he sent, with his permission of course. ?

https://archive.org/details/cpm-vt-180-games

Here is a video to show how they were displaying using the VT100 profile, before he sent me his.

z80-front.thumb.jpg.e7a5905188eb3707c06047f5f1b70e92.jpgz80-inside.thumb.jpg.98006c2c1bd7e1c8908cb2b6bd678dd1.jpg