A new composition for the X16

Post your artwork, music, short films, etc. (Not for general YouTube/Twitch self-promotion.)
kliepatsch

Post by kliepatsch »

Here is a ZSM version of this piece, which can be played back on @ZeroByte's Calliope Player. It's in Concerto's native tick rate, 127 Hz, while Calliope runs at 60 Hz, so there is a compromise on audio quality, but still good I would say.

Oh, and I am aware of the glitches on the second and later repetitions of the playback. My recording method was expecting all registers to be initialized with zero, which is not true anymore in the second repetition.
X16FUNK.ZSM
NickMilner

Post by NickMilner »

Sorry for the noob question but when you say it runs in the official R38 emulator does that mean it won't run (properly) in the R41 emulator available on the Downloads page? I'm trying it on my system and it appears that some of the channels are not playing and I want to understand if it's something I'm doing wrong. The mp3 sounds great, btw. Cheers! ?

Trax81

Post by Trax81 »

So cool how you use the PSG for timing... I'm loving the dancing LEDs on the Calliope player.? Awesome!

kliepatsch

Post by kliepatsch »

On 11/1/2022 at 10:49 AM, NickMilner said:

Sorry for the noob question but when you say it runs in the official R38 emulator does that mean it won't run (properly) in the R41 emulator available on the Downloads page? I'm trying it on my system and it appears that some of the channels are not playing and I want to understand if it's something I'm doing wrong. The mp3 sounds great, btw. Cheers! ?

Yes, the compatibility of FM sound was broken between R38 and R39. So you likely listened to the PSG playing on its own. Here is one version of the song that plays under R41 in full quality ?
TUNE.PRG
NickMilner

Post by NickMilner »

On 11/1/2022 at 3:11 PM, kliepatsch said:

Here is one version of the song that plays under R41 in full quality

This one plays beautifully. Nice work! ?

ZeroByte

Post by ZeroByte »

This is some fine work, @kliepatsch, and thanks for the shout-out on Calliope. ?

On 11/1/2022 at 7:08 AM, Trax81 said:

So cool how you use the PSG for timing... I'm loving the dancing LEDs on the Calliope player.? Awesome!

After playing the song in Calliope, I see what you mean. It's neat how the software chooses random channels for stuff in a way that a human wouldn't - definitely makes an interesting show on the PSG LEDs.

Whenever I get around to adding a "tap" feature to Zsound's ZSM player, I'll be able to make the FM lights do the same thing instead of just being static "channel used/unused" indicators.