Commander X16 ports of existing games and software

All aspects of programming on the Commander X16.
Trax81

Post by Trax81 »

I have been trying to find the Super Mario Brothers port that David showed running on the Commander X16 but no luck as Google results are hopeless...

desertfish

Post by desertfish »

I think it is not allowed to distribute it.

Trax81

Post by Trax81 »

There has not been any mention about the developer(s). I did find a port for the C64 that took the programmer 7 years to complete. But Nintendo lawyers stepped in and the project was ceased. It's possible that this X16 port was made by the same person or his previous work was ported over?

https://www.eurogamer.net/nintendo-takes-down-mario-bros-c64-port-which-took-fan-seven-years-to-make

kelli217

Post by kelli217 »

On 10/12/2022 at 3:35 PM, Trax81 said:

There has not been any mention about the developer(s). I did find a port for the C64 that took the programmer 7 years to complete. But Nintendo lawyers stepped in and the project was ceased. It's possible that this X16 port was made by the same person or his previous work was ported over?

https://www.eurogamer.net/nintendo-takes-down-mario-bros-c64-port-which-took-fan-seven-years-to-make

The person who wrote the X16 version is fairly active on the Discord. They are trying to get it to the point where it requires a ROM image in order to work, at which point they can distribute 'everything else' and the user will have to acquire the ROM on their own. That way they won't be including any, uh, "odnetniN" assets and hopefully avoid trouble.

BruceMcF

Post by BruceMcF »

On 10/12/2022 at 5:21 PM, kelli217 said:

The person who wrote the X16 version is fairly active on the Discord. They are trying to get it to the point where it requires a ROM image in order to work, at which point they can distribute 'everything else' and the user will have to acquire the ROM on their own. That way they won't be including any, uh, "odnetniN" assets and hopefully avoid trouble.

Yes, avoiding assets that are opyrightedcay by intendonay is quite important to the long term survival of the download link.

Sid_Som

Post by Sid_Som »

I assume this be the right place to mention this. But since Super Mario Bros. was ported to the X16; I think it would be great if a port of Contra was made.

Exploding Fist (with finishing moves) would be a fun idea.

Retroplayer

Re: Commander X16 ports of existing games and software

Post by Retroplayer »

So some posters mentioned street fighter2 would be possible on the x16. Given these kind of games use many large sprites, the vram of 128k would be insufficient so you would have to transfer data from the 512k ram to the vera chip during gameplay.

Has anyone measured the number of bytes per second that can be transfered from 512k to the vera 128k?

If the number is not sufficient for the large sprite frames, I don't think a game like street fighter 2 can be done unless small sprites are used.
Retroplayer

Post by Retroplayer »

Some games like streets of rage might not be possible if the data transfer from 512k to vera isn't high enough because you have multiple sprites on the screen at once so it'd be hard to stream data. It looks like this data transfer speed is the bottle neck for the x16.
StephenHorn

Post by StephenHorn »

Well, it's easy enough to math out the best-case transfer rate:
  1. The fastest lda that's practical for large data transfers is 4 cycles, ditto the only real sta selection. So that's 8 cycles/byte at the fastest, not counting overhead from loops. You can sort of blit while the screen is active, except that in practice this is going to produce weird visual effects on the VERA because writing to memory shares FPGA cycles with drawing. So while the VERA will let you blit any time, we really should limit blitting to the VBLANK interval.
  2. The VERA technically draws an 800x525 display (the excess beyond its 640x480 resolution is HBLANK and VBLANK, respectively, which are meaningful for signaling and timing but not for drawing). We technically could blit during HBLANK, but the timing is a bit tight. If we only count VBLANK, that's 45 lines out of 525.
  3. The CPU is running at 8MHz, divided by 60fps is 133,333.33 cycles/frame, times 45/525 is 11,428.57 cycles/VBLANK, divided by 8 is 1,428.57 bytes transferred, minus whatever overhead you lose from copy setup and branching logic (which will be significant). And, of course, whatever else needs to be transferred during that interval outside of blitting.
It seems like recently there have been a few suggestions to port several games from well into the 90s to the X16, without considering that it was envisaged more as a late 70s-decade computer, and only coincidentally reaches beyond that because the VERA is basically a late-80s card, and the supercharged clock rate of the X16's CPU gives it the oomph to drive it in ways that can recreate some 16-bit graphics.

But like the TurboGrafx-16 (or PC Engine for our Asiatic members), the reality is that this is still more 8-bit than 16-bit. The lack of DMA as a standard component is crippling to the system's ability to blit graphics -- imagine if that 1,400 bytes figure were closer to matching the 11,400 cycles/VBLANK figure. Now that'd be some blitting power. But without DMA, I really think it's important to think of the VERA more as the place where you're going to preload your assets, rather than blitting them in real-time.

To use Streets of Rage as an example, I'm going to ballpark sprites at 48x64 in size, meaning you'll probably draw them as a column of two 32x32s plus a column of four 16x16s (plus or minus certain special cases where you can choose to use fewer sprites and make more efficient use of that VRAM). Assuming those were authored to 4bpp, that's 1,536 bytes/sprite, which means you could fit 84 sprites into VRAM, not counting memory for background tiles.

In practice that means you'll probably be stuck with 60-ish sprites in VRAM. I think that's "not horrible", as long as you're clever about your background tiling and assets. You'll definitely need to get creative about animation, because I'd probably shoot for 12-ish frames of animation per enemy, total, and maybe 24 frames total for the entire moveset of the player (walk, punch, jump, dive kick, grab/throw, ouch, fall over, flip, etc). You might even lose a few frames to make room for hit sparkles and other smaller VFX. But that would allow for 3 types of enemies on-screen at once and a robust moveset for the player. As for cycling enemies around, that'd be done during moments where the big flashing "THAT WAY" arrow is happening and there are no enemies on-screen -- assuming you're able to hit half the theoretical bandwidth (a bit of a big "if", but I'm spitballing), that's roughly half a sprite per frame, so replacing all three enemies would run 64 frames -- just over 1 second of mandatory downtime between encounters. If you plan for 5-6 seconds of walking/loading between encounters, you should be able to comfortably "stream in" assets even without DMA.

So it'll take a lot of planning, but I think you could get there at a reasonable fidelity. It's not impossible. People should be impressed if someone goes and does it. Probably even more impressed than they likely will be. :P
Developer for Box16, the other X16 emulator. (Box16 on GitHub)
I also accept pull requests for x16emu, the official X16 emulator. (x16-emulator on GitHub)
paulscottrobson

Post by paulscottrobson »

It depends. Different games have different strengths and weaknesses that are allied to the platform. Some things may be virtually impossible.

Generally the X16 is very good at sprites and tiles games, which is many Nintendo, for example, but it's terrible at anything involving drawing lines or polygons. It should do a really good job with games like R-Type, but Tempest would be a nightmare.