Emulator r39 Released

Announcements by the development team or forum staff.
rje

Emulator r39 Released

Post by rje »

Uh oh!  Let's find out if my code is banking correctly!!

Justin Baldock

Emulator r39 Released

Post by Justin Baldock »

Fantastic news, Michael. Thanks for your work and everyone else contributing code.

TomXP411

Emulator r39 Released

Post by TomXP411 »

Thank you, Michael! 

Now I have to go update 8 instances of the emulator on all my different computers. ?

Jestin

Emulator r39 Released

Post by Jestin »

Wow!  Looks great!

Quick note to those who using the kernal `joystick_get` routine.  It looks like both `JOY` BASIC command and the kernal `joystick_get` have changed.  Previously the `A` register was used to pass the joystick number, 0 through 3.  Now 0 means the new keyboard joystick, and 1 though 4 are for actual joysticks (SNES controllers).  Tripped me up until I diff'd the docs.  Other than that, my programs all ran perfectly!

Excellent work, everyone!

Stefan

Emulator r39 Released

Post by Stefan »

Trying the MacOS binary causes the following error:

"dyld: Symbol not found: _GCHapticDurationInfinite"

Haven't had time to investigate, but it seems to be a resource made available in MacOS 11 (released November 2020), which I'm not running.

I could, however, clone the emulator master branch, and successfully build and run it on my Mac.

rje

Emulator r39 Released

Post by rje »

On 3/29/2022 at 11:12 PM, Stefan said:

Trying the MacOS binary causes the following error:

"dyld: Symbol not found: _GCHapticDurationInfinite"

Haven't had time to investigate, but it seems to be a resource made available in MacOS 11 (released November 2020), which I'm not running.

I could, however, clone the emulator master branch, and successfully build and run it on my Mac.

Gotta have Catalina.

I upgraded just so I could run the r39 binary.

I thought about building, but got lazy.

rje

Emulator r39 Released

Post by rje »

I found that r39 wouldn't print text with one two three four any of my C programs.  Make clean, make all, run.  No text.

Not quite NO text: It prints text with one of my programs.... until it clears the screen the second time, then no more.

The programs still work fine on r38, so it's a change in the emulator, one way or the other.

Ah, my bank switching updates location $00 AND $9f61... not great, but also not the problem (I comment out that line, and I get the same results).

I'm also not sure it's loading the font file like it did before (that is, it's not working, or perhaps it's working differently).

Hm, it also doesn't seem to be showing my sprites.  So I'm probably not doing something correctly.

...On the other hand, it runs one of my BASIC programs perfectly fine, and that has PSG sound and sprite data it manually transfers into VERA.  So I would say the problem is not with the VERA emulation.

JimmyDansbo

Emulator r39 Released

Post by JimmyDansbo »

On 3/30/2022 at 6:23 AM, rje said:

...On the other hand, it runs one of my BASIC programs perfectly fine, and that has PSG sound and sprite data it manually transfers into VERA.  So I would say the problem is not with the VERA emulation

I believe the VERA memory layout has changed a lot. Have a look at the Programmer's Reference https://github.com/commanderx16/x16-docs/blob/master/Commander X16 Programmer's Reference Guide.md#video-programming

Unfortunately I don't think the VERA documentation has been updated yet.

Visit my Github repo
or my personal site with CX16/C64/6502 related information.
Feel free to contact me regarding any of my projects or even about meeting up somewhere near Denmark
TomXP411

Emulator r39 Released

Post by TomXP411 »

On 3/29/2022 at 9:23 PM, rje said:

I found that r39 wouldn't print text with one two three four any of my C programs.  Make clean, make all, run.  No text.

Not quite NO text: It prints text with one of my programs.... until it clears the screen the second time, then no more.

The programs still work fine on r38, so it's a change in the emulator, one way or the other.

Ah, my bank switching updates location $00 AND $9f61... not great, but also not the problem (I comment out that line, and I get the same results).

I'm also not sure it's loading the font file like it did before (that is, it's not working, or perhaps it's working differently).

Hm, it also doesn't seem to be showing my sprites.  So I'm probably not doing something correctly.

...On the other hand, it runs one of my BASIC programs perfectly fine, and that has PSG sound and sprite data it manually transfers into VERA.  So I would say the problem is not with the VERA emulation.

The text frame buffer is now $1:B000

If your C programs use direct access, rather than KERNAL printing, then you need to modify the library code to use the new address. This will definitely have to be updated in cc65 and Kick C.