It's time for a decision...

Announcements by the development team or forum staff.
TomXP411

Post by TomXP411 »

On 3/6/2022 at 9:20 AM, AndyMt said:

I'm not a fan of pixel-style-fonts in a forum. They are really hard to read. It is kind of ok with this forum here (titles, buttons only), but on Windows these pixel-like-fonts don't scale well, depending on the display you use. I know they look better on a Mac, but the majority uses Windows. So please, at least have 2 themes as options.

On 3/6/2022 at 10:36 AM, Edmond D said:

I agree - while cute I come to read and comment. A second "read-optimized" theme would be my strong preference and that would be the one I'd use.  

PS - I'm on a MAC so I can't compare to a Windows platform, nor a *NIX one.  

Give us some credit, guys. We have no intention of wrecking the site, just to make it feel more "retro." 

Here's something like what I see in my head....

image.thumb.png.a96814ad1ab23b7bff52e67523ede4dd.png

I just chopped this together in Paint.Net a few minutes ago, so forgive the rough edges... but this should give you the idea of where we might go with the theme. Mostly some color changes and a few bits of C64 Pro here and there to make things interesting. 

Edmond D

Post by Edmond D »

On 3/6/2022 at 2:59 PM, TomXP411 said:

Give us some credit, guys. We have no intention of wrecking the site, just to make it feel more "retro." 

Sorry if I seemed to over-react. I've generalized that most technical people don't have good visual design skills. 

TomXP411

Post by TomXP411 »

On 3/6/2022 at 3:29 PM, Edmond D said:

Sorry if I seemed to over-react. I've generalized that most technical people don't have good visual design skills. 

I mean, you’d be right. Left-brained and Right-brained people are very different. I’m pretty skilled with software and implementation, but less so with making it pretty. That’s what artists are for.  ?

AndyMt

Post by AndyMt »

On 3/6/2022 at 11:59 PM, TomXP411 said:

I just chopped this together in Paint.Net a few minutes ago, so forgive the rough edges

Ok, I think something like this would be fine with me. I have an additional training in desktop publishing. Although years ago, this still helps balancing fonts and style for things to read for all sorts of media. I'm also not an artist really, but I can help with this, I think.

svenvandevelde

Post by svenvandevelde »

I missed the voting time on this forum. Can I still vote?

KICKC home page by Jesper Gravgaard.
My KICKC alpha with Commander X16 extensions.
Scott Robison

Post by Scott Robison »

On 3/11/2022 at 9:10 AM, svenvandevelde said:

I missed the voting time on this forum. Can I still vote?

Well, the decision that had to be made has been made, and one more vote wouldn't make a difference at this point. You can still make your voice heard here, though.

svenvandevelde

Post by svenvandevelde »

Forum software evaluation

I would suggest not to go for php but for a more modern forum software. Once the CX16 gets a real life, this forum will grow and a future modern platform will be required to enable that. 

I've used php a lot in dcs world and it will make the forum unattractive. Also the integration features are really limited and old fashioned. These days people don't want to be bothered with adding tags just to add an image, for example in their posts. 

A more modern interface with modern features is what will make this forum great. 

Im happy to help with migration or forum design if required. 

BruceMcF

Post by BruceMcF »

On 3/12/2022 at 3:17 AM, svenvandevelde said:

Having effectively no experience or knowledge of this side of it, which of these, if any, would make for the most direct path to a working Try It Now feature?

svenvandevelde

Post by svenvandevelde »

May I add to this topic that I very much also would welcome a design that has a "retro" look for the forum, like @TomXP411 as designed :-).

image.thumb.png.a96814ad1ab23b7bff52e67523ede4dd.png