Alternative everyday computer/games system.

Feel free to talk about any other retro stuff here including Commodore, Sinclair, Atari, Amstrad, Apple... the list goes on!
Strider

Post by Strider »

On 12/31/2021 at 8:20 PM, TomXP411 said:

The problem I have with the Pi is that the modern web slightly overwhelms that machine. Something similar to the Pi, but with about 2x the CPU power would probably be ideal for a simple desktop system.

The biggest problem I run into is it sometimes struggles with 1080 video streaming (YouTube), but it's hit and miss, sometimes it plays fine, sometimes it hiccups. To be honest, a vast majority of the web usage I do while on the Pi 4 runs great, but that's mainly forums, tutorial or technical doc viewing, or searching for information I need for whatever I am doing in that moment. So I really have not had the chance to really push it all that hard in that respect. I will have to do that one of these days.

To be fair, like I said, I run everything from that M.2 SSD and have it hooked up via cat6, I don't use the wireless on it.

Overall I am quite happy with the Pi 4's performance for what I am asking it do to. It's definitely not a desktop replacement, but as an alternative, it's not bad. I could honestly see me using it as a daily driver if I had no other choice. However I definitely see room for improvement for the next gen Pi. Just like you I would love to see a faster processor, and if nothing else, M.2 or SATA. The SSD over USB if lightyears ahead of using an SD card or flash drive, but a lot of the Pi's performance issues come from the highly limited storage speeds.

A classic geek & family man who enjoys all things retro! Computers, hardware, games, electronics, etc. Expert at nothing, professional hobbyist, and old-school blogger!
BruceMcF

Post by BruceMcF »

On 1/1/2022 at 12:43 AM, TomXP411 said:

Yes, that's what is frustrating... it's "almost there." 

My biggest complaint about the Pi platform, aside from the anemic CPU speeds, is the lack of local bus storage. The Pi seriously needs either an M.2 or SATA storage interface. 

Yeah, if I was trying to use a Pi for it, a Pi 4 B and external M.2 NVMe SSD would be the bare minimum.

Indeed, an advantage of the Pi 4 B over the Pi 400 is that there is a case available that allows you to put the "external" M.2 SSD inside the case, using a "U" USB 3.0 connector to pass the connection from the Pi 4 back to the SSD underneath.

Tom's hardware looks at how much faster the SSD is than relying on an SD card for a Pi 4.

I feel like I might be OK with a Pi 4 B with SSD, but I am OK with my cheap Chinese laptop with the Gateway branding, and have neither the cash nor the time to spend on experimenting right now. And of course, if I had jumped in last year when I had more of both, it would have been more like a Banana Pi of some sort than a RPi, since I was in China.

As far as "hide away from computer distractions and just write", a Pi Zero 2 W with SSD and LibreOffice might be good enough. A Pi 400 with external SSD might be good enough if there was a way to upgrade the keyboard.

TomXP411

Post by TomXP411 »

On 1/1/2022 at 7:29 AM, BruceMcF said:

Indeed, an advantage of the Pi 4 B over the Pi 400 is that there is a case available that allows you to put the "external" M.2 SSD inside the case, using a "U" USB 3.0 connector to pass the connection from the Pi 4 back to the SSD underneath.

The ArgonOne m.2 case. I love mine  I have one m.2 case and three of the standard cases. They are very convenient  

image.jpg
Strider

Post by Strider »

That Tom's Hardware article is one of the reasons I gave it a try. Though since it's writing, performance has been improved and you can boot straight from SSD now, so boot times are better than before. One good trick is to disable Bluetooth in Pi OS, that speeds up boot time as well, if you're not using it of course. That helps no matter what boot media you use.

I want to do some "benchmarks" on my Pi now that I am thinking about it more. I am putting in a 12  hour shift today at the hospital, but I have the next 2 days off. Gives me something fun to do. lol

I can say that LibreOffice runs fantastic, but it should. I will test boot time, app launch times for whatI use, and mess around with 1080 video streaming more. I also use the Pi with Steam Link, and that works wonderfully as well. Now I can't wait until tomorrow to mess around with it. ?

EDIT:

@TomXP411 Best case for the Pi 4 in my humble opinion. Honestly, I don't think I would be using it as much if it wasn't for that case. It's just so darn convenient, tucks right where I need it.

20220101_132424318.jpg.a8d8b9170426d2ebae543ba3b42224d7.jpg

A classic geek & family man who enjoys all things retro! Computers, hardware, games, electronics, etc. Expert at nothing, professional hobbyist, and old-school blogger!
martinot

Post by martinot »

On 1/1/2022 at 5:12 AM, kelli217 said:

The 4 and 400 are so close to being acceptable for everyday use, at least when you have a maxed-out 8GB RAM version.

On 1/1/2022 at 8:54 AM, Strider said:

The biggest problem I run into is it sometimes struggles with 1080 video streaming (YouTube), but it's hit and miss, sometimes it plays fine, sometimes it hiccups. To be honest, a vast majority of the web usage I do while on the Pi 4 runs great, but that's mainly forums, tutorial or technical doc viewing, or searching for information I need for whatever I am doing in that moment. So I really have not had the chance to really push it all that hard in that respect. I will have to do that one of these days.

That is why I think a cheap latop with Celeron N4K is a way better minium daily driver, even if it only has 4GB RAM and 64 GB eMMC. Not any speed monster like my Core i7 or Apple M1 laptop, but it will manage 1080p streaming and all my other basic daily tasks.

That said I really love the RetroFlag caes! I actually have a NESPi Case Plus even it I do not have any Pi for it. They are such nice small cases and perfect for any embedded project.

I have a plan to modify it to fit a MiSTer board, but so far I just enjoy the cute case as it is! ?

763105_88030_6.tif?ref=EBA6CA7938&format51VPDJWL+uL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

BruceMcF

Post by BruceMcF »

On 1/1/2022 at 2:23 PM, Strider said:

... I will test boot time, app launch times for whatI use, and mess around with 1080 video streaming more.  ...

I'm not going to say that at my age, it's getting toward a 10 inch 720p portable TV being a "retina" display for me ...

... but I ain't going to deny, either.

After Christmas for the grandkids, things are tight enough now that buying a tin of Altoid mints for a "system in an Altoids tin" build pretty much exhausted my disposable income ...

... that is, not the parts of the "system in an Altoids tin" ... just the Altoids themselves ...

... but hopefully by March or April, there will be breathing room again.

TomXP411

Post by TomXP411 »

On 1/1/2022 at 3:20 PM, martinot said:

That is why I think a cheap latop with Celeron N4K is a way better minium daily driver, even if it only has 4GB RAM and 64 GB eMMC. Not any speed monster like my Core i7 or Apple M1 laptop, but it will manage 1080p streaming and all my other basic daily tasks.

That said I really love the RetroFlag caes! I actually have a NESPi Case Plus even it I do not have any Pi for it. They are such nice small cases and perfect for any embedded project.

I have a plan to modify it to fit a MiSTer board, but so far I just enjoy the cute case as it is! ?

The NESPi case looks good, but it has very poor cooling and circulation. I also got "low power" warnings with several different power supplies, which I didn't get with the ArgonOne. I ended up taking the Pi out and putting it the ArgonOne case. (As an interesting side note, Raspberry Pi USB power adapters actually put out a bit more than 5v. I've seen the voltage as high as 5.2v  on my USB tester.)

martinot

Post by martinot »

On 1/2/2022 at 3:37 AM, TomXP411 said:

The NESPi case looks good, but it has very poor cooling and circulation. I also got "low power" warnings with several different power supplies, which I didn't get with the ArgonOne. I ended up taking the Pi out and putting it the ArgonOne case. (As an interesting side note, Raspberry Pi USB power adapters actually put out a bit more than 5v. I've seen the voltage as high as 5.2v  on my USB tester.)

Ok, thanks. Good to know!

My idea is not to run a Pi, but to put a MiSTer FPGA board in it. As I will modify the case for it to make fit for a D10 board, I will make sure to also modify the case  at the same time for better ventilation as well. Perhaps mount a small fan in it.

But basically I bought the case for the looks of it. It was on sale, and it was too cute for me to not buy it! ?

Might use it for another electronics project as well, as I might to go for for a complete ready made MiSTer games console from RMC (it looks like a great complete solution, and the board is too big for normal Pi cases, including NESPi).

TomXP411

Post by TomXP411 »

On 1/1/2022 at 7:02 PM, martinot said:

Ok, thanks. Good to know!

My idea is not to run a Pi, but to put a MiSTer FPGA board in it. As I will modify the case for it to make fit for a D10 board, I will make sure to also modify the case  at the same time for better ventilation as well. Perhaps mount a small fan in it.

But basically I bought the case for the looks of it. It was on sale, and it was too cute for me to not buy it! ?

Might use it for another electronics project as well, as I might to go for for a complete ready made MiSTer games console from RMC (it looks like a great complete solution, and the board is too big for normal Pi cases, including NESPi).

I've been eyeing the Mister Multisystem, as well... still deciding whether I want to shell out the bucks. 

Scott Robison

Post by Scott Robison »

On 1/1/2022 at 8:36 PM, TomXP411 said:

I've been eyeing the Mister Multisystem, as well... still deciding whether I want to shell out the bucks. 

I'm on the list. It's there a Retroholics Anonymous? I fear I may need a 12 step program...