What "Modern" Games Do You Play?

This is where we discuss our modern PCs, Raspberry Pis, Macs, and smart-whatevers.
BruceMcF

Post by BruceMcF »

My modern games are shooters, wing racers, platformers and pinball games on my OG 2DS, and with the 2DS line out of production, the clock is already ticking down until the time they will be retro games.

Strider

Post by Strider »

I spend way too much time in Ark: Survival Evolved, but it's so darn addictive...Especially with it's massive mod community.

I have over 2700 hours in it so far. ?

ark1.jpg.f9ace7c28fbf401bb581734ab7d950bd.jpgark2.jpg.5e1a30fc795ef43b82fc0af9d00aa863.jpgark3.jpg.b0c479ec9258aedf4d15f1455e4a51ec.jpg

A classic geek & family man who enjoys all things retro! Computers, hardware, games, electronics, etc. Expert at nothing, professional hobbyist, and old-school blogger!
Tatwi

Post by Tatwi »

I wasted way too much of my life playing Star Wars Galaxies and other MMOs. All I play anymore is Guild Wars 2, because it is a nice combination of open-ended game play, fun character classes, decent story/lore. Overall, it's just a nice place to vegetate for a while. No Man's Sky, Stardew Valley, Terarria, SimCity 2000, Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Torchlight II, and a whack of 8 bit/16 bit games get played from time to time as well.

But the most popular games I play are: Laundry, dishes, picking up after my children, and yard work. Love these old classics!

Strider

Post by Strider »

I hear ya on the laundry and dishes! That, and working, way too much. ?

I did my fair share of MMOs over the years. I only still play one from time to time, an old one called MapleStory. It's a platformer style MMORPG that's been around since the early 2000's, and my family plays it, so I play it with them.

I have looked at Guild Wars a lot over the years too, I just just never pulled the trigger on it. I am always looking for games my wife and I can play together, along with her brother and sometimes even her mom. Grandma plays MapleStory. lol

No Man's Sky is an awesome game! Still trying to get my wife to try it.

I also played the heck out of Stardew Valley, Terraria, and Torchlight 2.

Similarly, I do find myself mashing the buttons on a lot of old 8/16-bit titles lately. Just having a blast.

To be honest, I am all over the place, it depends on the day really. There are games I just always finding myself going back to, the Battlefield titles is one of them, as in Ark, the Command & Conquer series, and the Borderlands games.

I did come across a really fun little game called "Craft the World", it's better to look at it than me try to explain it. It's been out a while now (2014), but it's a lot of fun to play. I have over 160 hours into it and have played through it 3 or 4 times now. haha

https://store.steampowered.com/app/248390/Craft_The_World/

A classic geek & family man who enjoys all things retro! Computers, hardware, games, electronics, etc. Expert at nothing, professional hobbyist, and old-school blogger!
ZeroByte

Post by ZeroByte »

Me, I'm playing through Metroid Dread a second time now that I've beaten it. I want a less-than-crappy clear time.

Strider

Post by Strider »

On 10/18/2021 at 4:42 PM, ZeroByte said:

Me, I'm playing through Metroid Dread a second time now that I've beaten it. I want a less-than-crappy clear time.

I do that a lot, go back and replay something I have completed, just to see if I can do better or find things I missed.

I have been messing around with the original Indiana Jones, Star Trek, and Tex Murphy point-and-click adventure games from yesteryear, even though I have played all of them before, there is a lot I missed back when I had originally went though them. I used to love those games. Also tried the remaster of Full Throttle and Monkey Island, and they were a blast to re-play.

One similar game I have replayed a lot over the years is Snatcher on the Sega CD, that game hooked me back when it was released. Love me a good cyberpunk adventure. ?

Strider

Post by Strider »

Oops, wrong button. ?

Strider

Post by Strider »

Well, I bought Serious Sam 4 on the Steam Halloween sale, $20, well worth it. Love this series! Once my wife picks it up, we can coop it as well, so that's a huge plus. ?

ss4-1.jpg.018a2bd1f740829fbb3b8cc82626353d.jpg

Ju+Te

Post by Ju+Te »

I'm not sure whether you'd consider it as 'modern game', but I'm a big fan of Commandos (e.g. Behind Enemy Lines and Men of Courage). I started to like it during my study in the 90s but I also played it last year again.

Cyber

Post by Cyber »

On 11/1/2021 at 8:50 PM, Ju+Te said:

I'm not sure whether you'd consider it as 'modern game', but I'm a big fan of Commandos (e.g. Behind Enemy Lines and Men of Courage). I started to like it during my study in the 90s but I also played it last year again.

My young colleagues at my work would call this game retro because it is so damn old. But for me it goes into modern era, so I'm with you. )

I recently played Ignition, Heroes IV and Lula: The Sexy Empire. I think all these games fall in same era with Commandos.

Few days ago I purchased a newer game -  GRIP (https://www.gog.com/game/grip), because I very much liked its trailer and screenshots. Its designs remind me of Megarace 2, which I played a lot. I did not played GRIP yet.