Change of product direction, good and bad news!

Announcements by the development team or forum staff.
Ju+Te

Post by Ju+Te »

I wanted to say, an FPGA as a first thing shipped to end-users might be a good idea so people get hands on the hardware quickly. If it turns out - based on the feedback of the early adopters, that the wiring needs to be changed, they don't have a board incompatible with future versions, but simply can reprogram it. Yes, such an early state FPGA would be more expensive than a later iteration, but I expect it to be cheaper than an initial generic parts kit.

Oldrooster

Post by Oldrooster »

On 10/15/2021 at 6:14 PM, Ju+Te said:

If it turns out [...] that the wiring needs to be changed, they [...] can reprogram it. Yes, such an early state FPGA would be more expensive than a later iteration, but I expect it to be cheaper than an initial generic parts kit.

ah, now there is a loaded point because do you mean wiring as in hardware or emulated wiring, which is by definition an emulation, or it's software on a chip which is software on a chip. I'm thinking you obviously mean emulated wiring because it can be reprogrammed. So it is the same with every computer, it just seems simpler, however, it is the same. Any computer, fast or slow, given enough time and memory can emulate any other computer. You know Conway's game of life simulation on computers ? the old one ? you can actually play game of life, on, game of life. As a simulation.

There is a video by Veritasium which mentions that you can simulate the game of life, on the game of life and has a short clip of it, it is a large video, worth watching all the way through but if you have a poor internet connection, it's at the 30 minute mark.

Logically, you can run a simulation of the X-16 on any computer, and you can run an accurate but slow emulation on a z80 system if that system has the resources available that it needs, and if you have enough patience for the painfully slow performance. Strange idea, nobody is going to do it, but it is possible therefore you can update that emulation with new software updates, which you'd never do because you'd never use it except for demonstration purposes. My first point is, software is software, hardware is hardware and an emulation of hardware is still software and killing people in GTA will not get you arrested for murder no matter how many you do, it's still simulation. I talk too much....

With a kit system you can either build out of discreet parts and you can update and mod it just as people update and mod a C64 or ZX81 or add memory or whatever they want if they are able or are able to copy other people's ideas and tutorials.

With the X16 you'd be able to mod that if you had the skills required. If you can buy it and load software then that's what you can do to install updates. On a kit system you can do that too. On a kit system you solder together in the first place you can mod the hardware as well as mod the software because you have the skills in soldering, buying kits or parts and loading software.

I would say that as it takes a lot more skill to solder and program a FPGA and that's somewhat of a barrier to all but software mods unless you can plug the mod in, or somehow assemble it. A discreet part kit requires more skill from the start than a ready made item, but in the end you can mod the hardware in it's entirety. So, it's back to the barrier really. The barrier called FPGA. Its not a barrier if you never intend to solder in the first place, but it in no way takes the place of or eliminates the larger range of mods available from soldering.

Main Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Main Administrator »

One more time for the people in the back row, mind your language.