Qommodore

Feel free to talk about any other retro stuff here including Commodore, Sinclair, Atari, Amstrad, Apple... the list goes on!
SlithyMatt

Qommodore

Post by SlithyMatt »

36 minutes ago, Edmond D said:

Look at the VIC 20, Atari 800, or even the Timex Sinclair - non of these devices had the benefit of mass marketing

Is this a joke? All three were mass-marketed, and had substantial budgets for prototype development and marketing from established corporations.

Scott Robison

Qommodore

Post by Scott Robison »

12 minutes ago, SlithyMatt said:

Is this a joke? All three were mass-marketed, and had substantial budgets for prototype development and marketing from established corporations.

Good point. I think what was intended (at least what I inferred) was that they didn't utilize a viral marketing campaign through modern social media / online channels. They definitely had mass marketing, and the media of the day sprung up around them (magazines, shelf space in stores, BBSes...)

Scott Robison

Qommodore

Post by Scott Robison »

For IO, keyboards and monitors are okay I guess, but not everyone can afford a teletype. I'm thinking paper tape or punched cards for input. For output I had thought about a single blinky LED, but maybe a relay would be better. It wouldn't actually be connected to anything, but the audible click pattern would provide all the feedback a person could possibly need. How fun would a first person shooter be if all you had was echolocation, amirite?

Edmond D

Qommodore

Post by Edmond D »

1 minute ago, Scott Robison said:

Good point. I think what was intended (at least what I inferred) was that they didn't utilize a viral marketing campaign through modern social media / online channels. They definitely had mass marketing, and the media of the day sprung up around them (magazines, shelf space in doors, BBSes...)

Yes - sorry for not being clear in my humour. Those computers didn't have the benefit of the internet for their success. 

I feel any retro computer really needs that support these days to be successful. Hopefully this community helps make the X16 become a "thing."

Scott Robison

Qommodore

Post by Scott Robison »

1 minute ago, Edmond D said:

Yes - sorry for not being clear in my humour. Those computers didn't have the benefit of the internet for their success. 

I feel any retro computer really needs that support these days to be successful. Hopefully this community helps make the X16 become a "thing."

Yeah, I'm slow because I didn't get the humor until the 4th or 5th reading when I finally realized the Star Trek Q / Qommodore connection. I didn't pick Qommodore because of that, but it makes me love it even more now. ?

Edmond D

Qommodore

Post by Edmond D »

6 minutes ago, Scott Robison said:

For IO, keyboards and monitors are okay I guess, but not everyone can afford a teletype. I'm thinking paper tape or punched cards for input. For output I had thought about a single blinky LED, but maybe a relay would be better. It wouldn't actually be connected to anything, but the audible click pattern would provide all the feedback a person could possibly need. How fun would a first person shooter be if all you had was echolocation, amirite?

The guy with the loudest keyboard (Cherry MX Green) would be the first to go (if the system had a keyboard)! ?

paulscottrobson

Qommodore

Post by paulscottrobson »

3 hours ago, Scott Robison said:

That's just crazy enough to work!

I do remember the PE "Champ" 4040 machine which was built on veroboard ....

Scott Robison

Qommodore

Post by Scott Robison »

Qommodore_64_logo.thumb.png.4524db229f3ec937adfa29bbad5a767a.png

I'm not in love with that but it was fun to make. ?

BruceMcF

Qommodore

Post by BruceMcF »

8 hours ago, Scott Robison said:

Qommodore_64_logo.thumb.png.4524db229f3ec937adfa29bbad5a767a.png

I'm not in love with that but it was fun to make. ?

The name might not have an IP problem, but that label seems like it would, which would further increase the incentive to run the project away from the internet.

Scott Robison

Qommodore

Post by Scott Robison »

It's nothing intended to be used in an actual product. Just playing around with the alternate universe.