Change of product direction, good and bad news!

Announcements by the development team or forum staff.
BruceMcF

Post by BruceMcF »

15 minutes ago, James Anders Banks said:

I think the case will come back. I really do. The idea is too irrisistible. The team will make a lot of money from the X8 and maybe a caseless version of the X16, and find a way to put out a cased version. Off the shelf, so MAYBE, given the right politics, it ends up in some schools or colleges -- or at least people can buy it for their kids.

Don't forget that it's only the X16p case under discussion. All of the work toward the smaller X16c case is still there.

So they can always launch a crowd fund of the X16c as a cased unit, and if it hits its funding goal, then it's a go, without needing sales of other members of the family to fund it. Indeed, if the X8 can be released in the form factor of one of the RPi's, so 3rd party cases are widely available so it can be sold as a single SKU, you have a very easy to manage product line.

• (1) X16p kit, +kbd, (1b) Limited number per batch built X16p, +kbd.

• (2) Cased X16c, +kbd

• (3) X8, (3b)  X8 +kbd

James Anders Banks

Post by James Anders Banks »

2 hours ago, BruceMcF said:

Don't forget that it's only the X16p case under discussion. All of the work toward the smaller X16c case is still there.

So they can always launch a crowd fund of the X16c as a cased unit, and if it hits its funding goal, then it's a go, without needing sales of other members of the family to fund it. Indeed, if the X8 can be released in the form factor of one of the RPi's, so 3rd party cases are widely available so it can be sold as a single SKU, you have a very easy to manage product line.

• (1) X16p kit, +kbd, (1b) Limited number per batch built X16p, +kbd.

• (2) Cased X16c, +kbd

• (3) X8, (3b)  X8 +kbd

My bad. I haven't followed this as well as I had thought, I didn't realise there was a case still on the table.

Both are/were cases with separate keyboards - the X16p case was to be bigger to allow for expansion?

Why is one case dropped and not the other, does the smaller case not have to be assembled in China? No doubt the answers are above but there's five hours reading material on this post now!

So:

• (1) X16p kit, +kbd, (1b) Limited number per batch built X16p, +kbd. -----OK, KIT FORM SO NO PROB WITH CHINA

• (2) Cased X16c, +kbd -----YES, SO WHY CAN THIS GO AHEAD YET THE ONE ABOVE CAN'T HAVE A CASE?

• (3) X8, (3b)  X8 +kbd -----RPI SIZE SO CAN USE AN RPI CASE

TomXP411

Post by TomXP411 »

11 hours ago, Scott Robison said:

The hard part of duplicating any chip, be it in FPGA or ASIC, is knowing the exact internal structure of the original. That's what takes time. If you have the masks that define the original and still have access to the original tech, duplication is relatively easy.

It would be "simple" (I think) to create a VIC compatible chip in FPGA if all one wanted to do is create something that matched the datasheet. Or the VIC II or SID or whatever. But these chips all have weird undocumented / unintended features that people have learned to exploit. Getting all of those 100% correct is what is hard.

There are already open VIC implementations on FPGA. The Ultimate 64, Turbo Chameleon, and MiSTer C64 cores all have VIC-II implementations. 

They also all have "turbo" modes that are faster than the Commander X16, so if all you want is a faster Commodore 64, you can have one of those pretty much immediately.

BruceMcF

Post by BruceMcF »

1 hour ago, James Anders Banks said:

My bad. I haven't followed this as well as I had thought, I didn't realise there was a case still on the table.

Both are/were cases with separate keyboards - the X16p case was to be bigger to allow for expansion?

Why is one case dropped and not the other, does the smaller case not have to be assembled in China? No doubt the answers are above but there's five hours reading material on this post now!

So:

• (1) X16p kit, +kbd, (1b) Limited number per batch built X16p, +kbd. -----OK, KIT FORM SO NO PROB WITH CHINA

• (2) Cased X16c, +kbd -----YES, SO WHY CAN THIS GO AHEAD YET THE ONE ABOVE CAN'T HAVE A CASE?

• (3) X8, (3b)  X8 +kbd -----RPI SIZE SO CAN USE AN RPI CASE

To be very clear, discussion has focused on the two things that have prototypes already built, the X16p and the X8.

The "X16c" at this point is a design goal, not a completed design ... the team have described it in general terms, but specifics have not been announced, and (as an outside observer) it seems likely that some of the specifics have not been decided on yet. So before launching a cased X16c crowdfund, the team would have to settle on final specifications, hammer out a crowdfund budget, and then use that to set the crowdfund price per unit and minimum order amount for the X16c final development and then production process to begin. Obviously some of those design decisions will involve cost versus features trade-offs that will be controversial.

But, "why cases for the X16c and not the X16p"? It's about cost and economies of scale.

The market for the X16p in kit form is people who are willing to tackle building a board of this complexity. It also has a lot of people who actually prefer their own case ... or already have a suitable one.

And the CX16p in built form required people to build it ... we aren't set up anymore with the assembly lines for soldering those kinds of boards, like back in the 80s (and those were also generally working for the computer maker, not working as an "assembler for hire") so it would likely have to be done by hand at something like a $100 builder charge. So not only is the market size limited by the higher price, but the market size may be even more limited by the number of boards that can be hand assembled in a reasonable period of time.

And you need a minimum number of cases in order for the case option to work. The makers will only do the customization part of the job if you hit a certain minimum order size.

You take the size of the market for people who will hand build something like this, minus the percentage who would rather not HAVE the CX16p case, plus the number willing to order at the higher X16p built price point that it is sensible to accept orders to build, minus the percentage who want to save on the (highest) price by using their own case ...

... and it may not be realistic to try to pursue a "customized" version of case for the X16p.

By contrast, the X16c would be made with surface mount versions of the chips (maybe with one exception). Modern, partly automatic, board assemblers and solder ovens would be able to handle it. Indeed, for that kind of board, a built board would be cheaper overall than a kit, when packaging and handling costs are included. And it never has been considered as an option for a kit form. So for the CX16c, they can do the minimum crowdfunding orders required to meet the minimum order for the cased systems, and if they hit it, they can have the boards start to be built by a modern partly automated batch type small board assembly, and place the case order. It's actually less confusing to just have a single, cased, X16c unit on offer.

Now, there is no guarantee that the X16c will get the crowdfund numbers in order to go into production, but if it doesn't, you refund people's money (but of course, give them an option to take part of their refund in a keyboard and/or an X8). That's how the crowdfunding works ... if it doesn't hit the launch target, the money is refunded.

James Anders Banks

Thanks for such a detailed answer.

So the X16c would be a proper board, it wouldn't be a FPGA in a box, it would be a proper assembled board, but of a modern kind that can be assembled largely by machines.

Where can I find a photo of the kind of case the X16c would likely be in? If I recall the photo that used to be on the commanderx16 homepage was for the x16p.

Sorry if I should know the answer to this, but this topic has gotten so long, and I clearly lost track early on of the different versions.

dakk

Post by dakk »

After voting days ago "Don't release X8" I changed my mind reading all the replies on this thread, but I'm unable to change my vote on the poll. I'm in favor of the X8 selling, especially if it will help to fund the X16 project: I'll personally buy both especially if the X8 is almost ready to sell. Furthermore despite the few details, X8 seems a cool device to have.

Thanks David and the whole team for the effort you're putting on this project(s).

BruceMcF

Post by BruceMcF »

40 minutes ago, James Anders Banks said:

Thanks for such a detailed answer.

So the X16c would be a proper board, it wouldn't be a FPGA in a box, it would be a proper assembled board, but of a modern kind that can be assembled largely by machines.

Where can I find a photo of the kind of case the X16c would likely be in? If I recall the photo that used to be on the commanderx16 homepage was for the x16p.

Sorry if I should know the answer to this, but this topic has gotten so long, and I clearly lost track early on of the different versions.

For the CX16c case, check out Perifractic's post in the Case 1 FAQ thread ... the CX16c case design is toward the bottom of the first post.

And yes, the X16c would be a "proper board". The 65c02, 65c22, SRAM, flashROM etc. are all available in more compact "surface mount" packages that are really meant for automated chip placement and "solder oven" soldering. The only through pin one would be the FM sound chips (they are a pair that work together). Now, because of the build cost of all of that discrete logic, the smaller chips that have the various low level functions that "glue" everything together ... the so called "glue logic" ... might be replaced by a single Complex Programmable Logic Device. Or, a simpler FPGA than the one used for Vera might combine that function plus the FM sound chip function. There might be only one RAM chip, used to provide both the 40K of "Low RAM" and the bigger "High RAM". Every design choice will make SOMEBODY cranky (because any choice that everyone agrees on will have made already).

But from what has been said so far, it would be a smaller board than the X16p ... a "mini-ITX" instead of a "micro-ATX" (these are PC motherboards, only the size comparison is relevant here).

spacer.png

So, IOW, there are still design decisions to be made, but the overall impact would be the built board for the X16c would be cheaper than an X16p in kit form.

Trax81

Post by Trax81 »

On 8/21/2021 at 6:48 AM, The 8-Bit Guy said:

Regardless of whether a crowd funding platform requires something or not, I have a reputation of integrity to uphold.  The last thing I want is people saying that the 8-Bit Guy took their money and didn't deliver on a promise.  However, I have been considering doing some sort of crowdfunding where it would literally just be asking for donations to keep this project alive.  An infusion of $20,000 with no requirement to repay it would go a LONG way to pushing this product out to the public.  $100,000 would guarantee a successful launch.   But that's a lot to ask.  I know there are several thousand people interested in this.  If everyone just donated $5 that would probably be an incredible help.

https://www.patreon.com/8BitGuy1

I have just pledged the 'Red Snapper' ?

BruceMcF

Post by BruceMcF »

On 8/21/2021 at 4:48 AM, The 8-Bit Guy said:

Regardless of whether a crowd funding platform requires something or not, I have a reputation of integrity to uphold.  The last thing I want is people saying that the 8-Bit Guy took their money and didn't deliver on a promise.  However, I have been considering doing some sort of crowdfunding where it would literally just be asking for donations to keep this project alive.  An infusion of $20,000 with no requirement to repay it would go a LONG way to pushing this product out to the public.  $100,000 would guarantee a successful launch.   But that's a lot to ask.  I know there are several thousand people interested in this.  If everyone just donated $5 that would probably be an incredible help.

Heck, I'd gladly pay $10 for the X8 emulator. If there's a top-up option, I might top it up to pay for the X16 emulator, to repay the programming fun I've already had.

Note I'm not saying it was a mistake to not crowdfund earlier ... there are several sh!tstorms that have been avoided by taking the cautious route.

James Anders Banks

5 minutes ago, BruceMcF said:

But from what has been said so far, it would be a smaller board than the X16c ... a "mini-ITX" instead of a "micro-ATX" (these are PC motherboards, only the size comparison is relevant here).

Is there a typo there, should say "than the X16p"? Or have I really badly misunderstood this time?

Again thanks for the detailed reply.