Impact of Component Shortages

Chat about anything CX16 related that doesn't fit elsewhere
troj

Post by troj »

One of the "fun" side effects of COVID is that it has taken the already stretched-thin component market, and pushed it over the edge. I have friends who sell niche electronic devices, and they're having a heck of a time getting components. For some parts, they have been quoted delivery dates in 2023.

With the component industry in turmoil as much as it is, I have to wonder how much (if at all) this will impact the planned Commander X16 timelines that the team has.

Scott Robison

Post by Scott Robison »

Clearly component shortages aren't going to help the project. My employer has also been impacted by supply chain issues. But I think there is a good chance that the impact on the X16 will be less than it is for many other projects. High end components that have smaller features can only be manufactured in certain facilities. More mature technologies like 6502 family chips have many more options for fabrication.

All that being said: It only takes an inability to get one component as designed to delay the project. So who knows...

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite »

Also dishwashers.  1 yr delay.

Perifractic

Post by Perifractic »

Currently we are seeing a small to moderate impact on the parts we need. I don’t think (fingers crossed) it will affect us as much as some projects, but it will have a moderate or measurable effect. More info in the coming weeks as we build out the first 30-50 prototypes. Thanks for your concern.
troj

Post by troj »

22 hours ago, Scott Robison said:

Clearly component shortages aren't going to help the project. My employer has also been impacted by supply chain issues. But I think there is a good chance that the impact on the X16 will be less than it is for many other projects. High end components that have smaller features can only be manufactured in certain facilities. 

Believe it or not, a friend is having a problem sourcing passive components 

troj

Post by troj »

3 minutes ago, Perifractic said:

Currently we are seeing a small to moderate impact on the parts we need. I don’t think (fingers crossed) it will affect us as much as some projects, but it will have a moderate or measurable effect. More info in the coming weeks as we build out the first 30-50 prototypes. Thanks for your concern.

Hopefully things continue to go well!

Definitely something that’s out of the control of the team. 

Scott Robison

Post by Scott Robison »

59 minutes ago, troj said:

Believe it or not, a friend is having a problem sourcing passive components 

I do believe it, as my employer has had similar problems. Hence my final sentence! ?