Final keyboard samples ordered

Announcements by the development team or forum staff.
Perifractic

Post by Perifractic »

In this recent video

I showed a first prototype of the X16's mini keyboard. As we edge closer to crowdfunding later this year, today we ordered final keyboard prototype samples with the PETSCII layout and X16 logo on. Can't wait to try them out and show you guys more!

5B64B848-E9C4-4BA3-B370-0C4EF0B3176B.thumb.jpeg.2f3b34d7b0315fe767c3d6a9bae39970.jpeg

TomXP411

Post by TomXP411 »

How to stay motivated to work on looking good - Quora

BruceMcF

Post by BruceMcF »

Man, oh man, going to be some people sitting on their hands on this one.

19 hours ago, Perifractic said:

... As we edge closer to closed invite-only beta (no requests please ?) ...

(Looks at country of residence)

(Looks at alpha software last updated in September)

... can't wait for the crowdfunding to open!!!

10 PRINT "10 PRINT"

Post by 10 PRINT "10 PRINT" »

Hi,

Is it linked to WASD keyboard here [https://www.wasdkeyboards.com/commander16-by-the-8-bit-guy.html] ?

Perifractic

Post by Perifractic »

Hi,
Is it linked to WASD keyboard here [https://www.wasdkeyboards.com/commander16-by-the-8-bit-guy.html] ?

This is a different keyboard that will be included with the computer.
Strider

Post by Strider »

Remember reading about an upcoming computer in your favorite magazine and getting that feeling of anticipation? That desire to get your hands on it and see what it can do?

Yeah... that's me, every time some new milestone is announced. I love having this feeling again!

Nostalgia, my old friend, it's nice to see you again. ?

A classic geek & family man who enjoys all things retro! Computers, hardware, games, electronics, etc. Expert at nothing, professional hobbyist, and old-school blogger!
TomXP411

Post by TomXP411 »

4 hours ago, 10 PRINT "10 PRINT" said:

Hi,

Right, I think you figured out the answer, but be thorough: The WASD keyboard is an optional purchase. This is a mechanical USB and PS/2 keyboard that will work on any computer with a USB or PS/2 port. So you can use this on a modern PC running the Commander X16 emulator, the Commander X16 itself, or event things like a Raspberry Pi (it's a nice keyboard for using with VICE, for example.) 

The keyboard that comes with the CX16 is a membrane keyboard, such as you'd get with a new computer. They are usually perfectly serviceable, and the keyboard pictured above looks like a variant on the Perixx PERIBOARD-409P. I have a USB version in my closet, and it works just fine with the server PC I occasionally plug it into.

A third option is to use any keyboard with Cherry MX style keyswitches and purchase the keycaps separately from WASD. (Once again, thank you Perifractic and the team for making the keycaps an option. Thread here. I use this keyboard every day.)

troj

Post by troj »

One step closer - looking good! ?

10 PRINT "10 PRINT"

Post by 10 PRINT "10 PRINT" »

That makes sense, tks a lot for helping me in the path to "retro" as I'm a real newby ? ... New in Retro, that's weird ? 

Xprime

Post by Xprime »

If this is indeed a variant of the Perixx PERIBOARD-409P (confirm?) then I have some concern about it’s ps/2 functionality.  I have struggled to use the 409P in another project that requires the ps/2 protocol because of the strange behavior discussed here https://www.reddit.com/r/beneater/comments/m836ul/comment/

Basically this keyboard requires a handshake that a truly native ps/2 keyboard does not. 

Since you are working directly with the manufacturer, you might inquire about a firmware fix.  Or maybe you already did, or have some other work-around in place?

I’d be interested to hear more either way.